Remove Pilot Bearing With No Damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently installed an sm420 and now some plans have changed. I will still be using a sm420 but a different one instead. I will be installing a rebuilt one so I don't have to get back into it this for a while. The question I have is Can I remove the pilot bearing to test fit it without damage. I never like to install a tranny without first test fitting the pilot bearing before it is installed. You think I could just take a scotch/brillo/emery pad to the new tranny's input shaft. That last 1/2" of insertion is always the best!

Rent a blind bearing or pilot bearing puller tool from a local parts store?

Rent a blind bearing or pilot bearing puller tool from a local parts store?

I have a bearing puller. I am reluctant to use it cause the bearing is new and I don't want to damage it?

I was thinking the bread trick too. Just not sure if the bread will get into the sealed bearing and possibly cause premature wear? Maybe Im just paranoid.

Maybe I should just get a new pilot bearing and be done with it? I was just trying to save a little coin.

Thanks for the responses!

Bearings are cheap. If you F it up, just get a new one. I have never seen a 420 with a bad input shaft nose. I think this is because they always had their nose stuck in a bronze bushing instead of a roller bearing that can seize and gall. Just stick the nose in there and be done with it.

Find a bit of dowel or something similar that fits snug in the bearing hole. Fill hole in and behind bearing with grease insert dowel in hole and hit with a hammer. The dowel will force the grease in and the bearing out. You may need to add more grease as you go. this is how i usually works for me

Last edited:
I have just the 'grease method' w/o damage. Fill the void behind the bearing with grease, then find a metal dowel (this can be anything really) that is just slightly smaller than the pilot hole, insert it in the bearing center and tap. The bearing should ease its way out.

I used the grease method it it worked, no damage to the bearing. I bought another one in case I damaged it anyway. The key to the grease method is to find a large enough dowel/socket for a tight fit in the bearing. Than for all the input guys!

Every method has some risk, if it was me I would get a new bearing to put in. Why risk premature failure to try and save something so relatively cheap and so difficult to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom