Remove Gear Shifter - How To Easily (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

78fj40mg

TLCA #23510
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
How To Easily Remove Your Gear Shifter

This is my 4 speed FJ40 tranny and how I removed the shifter without a hassle. I'm sure there are other methods available but my method worked quickly for me. You will need to experiment to determine if yours is CCW (Counter Clock Wise) or CW (Clock Wise) removal rotation, my 1978 4 speed was CW.
IMG_20140825_153113_zpsc0cbcca9.jpg

Get yourself an old rubber jar opener and cut a 1/2 inch hole in the center and place it over the gear shifter and run it all the way down and rest it on top of the base. Like in the pic below.
IMG_20140825_153121_zps5eed3f2c.jpg

Find a closed end wrench that fits over the yoke of the shifter then apply study downward pressure while you rotate CW or CCW depending on your transmission, and viola the shifter is disengaged from the tranny. That's all there is to it, basically a 15 second job.
IMG_20140825_153143_zps6f4a6878.jpg

Removed after turning CW or CCW for a quarter of a turn with the closed end wrench.
IMG_20140825_153201_zpsd3cbc6ca.jpg

Pull straight up and you are done.
IMG_20140825_153213_zpsdc185b3a.jpg

To re-install just reverse the procedure
IMG_20140825_153113_zpsc0cbcca9.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet, I was just wondering how the heck I was going to get mine off to pull my engine and tranny. Perfect timing, thanks.

alternatively, you can be in 4H-R, trying to make a 3 pt turn on a dead end trail, and just pull up....
image.jpg

luckily, I had a top gear wrench with me....

Not saying it's not a good idea but wonder how well this would have worked forty to fifty years ago when the springs we new. Install a floor shift on my 68 back in 74. I fought getting the spring depressed to twist the cap. Now on anyone I work on a pair of channel locks and can depress/twist. Believe there was a reason Toyota designed a double handed tool for this. Could just be I'm stronger forty years later.:rolleyes:

Make sure your junk is in neutral before taking the shifter out. Makes life easier when you have to put it back in.

D

Make sure your junk is in neutral before taking the shifter out. Makes life easier when you have to put it back in.

D

That's for sure! Ask me how I know.

Note to self... Don't let wife know... Replace can gripper with new one LOL

Great idea

Great Idea Johnny! Otherwise you'll never hear the end of it...:princess:Why did you cut a hole in my jar gripper? :princess:Where did all this grease come from?? It is ruined I want a new one NOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom