Remove 3rd member with Drums still on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I acquired a set of FJ60 axles that have been sitting on the ground unused for a long time (years?). I want the 3rd members out of them for different gearing, but don't care about much else. The drums on the rear axle are super seized. The adjuster is seized.

My question is, before going to battle with the drums, do I even need to? Is it possible to remove the 3rd member, ie the C-Clips and all, without first removing the drums. Is there anything stopping the axle from coming out, drums and all?

This is my first time to get into axles/housing/diffs. I haven't even touched the front axle yet. Advice appreciated.

On a semifloating axle, without cutting it to pieces, it is not possible to remove the third without pulling the drums.

You potentially could pull the third housing and caps out and leave the carrier in there, but then you would not have a complete third member.

IMHO, get a 8 lb sledge and pound those drums off (or shatter them). There also (generally) is a threaded hole near the center of the drum that helps pry the drum off.

mace is right of course but to add a little
clarification only the drum needs to come off. thats easy. the brake shoes and all the backing plate stays on. taking the drums off is necessary to allow the axle shafts to slide out but there is no need to worry about adjusting the brakes or rebuilding them as they don't actually need to come come off (though it's a good time to inspect and repair any brake issues the )

Success!

Between using the threaded holes, a lot of influence with a big hammer, and some pri-bars and wedges I managed to get it off. Even though the shoes are supposed stay with the backing plate, they were pretty much rust-welded to the drums and came off with the drums until nearly the end. Everything inside the drum was rusted immovable. Backing plates are now toast. This is all from a donor axle so no harm done. Whew.

Yes, the axles on my truck will be getting a full brake service. I'm expecting those to come off a lot easier since I drive it every day and the adjuster screws are functional.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom