removal of thermostat bypass pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
could some legend please give me an idea on how to remove the bypass pipe from the timing chain cover to change the oring without damaging it.
it seems in there pretty solid.
im rebuilding the engine and replacing everything with genuine seals.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
regards Dale

Pull up. Wiggle a little helps. Maybe little rubber mallet action too.

Pull up. Wiggle a little helps. Maybe little rubber mallet action too.
was wondering if id need to get some multi grips on it.
last time i did this on my other engine i marked it so was hoping to avoid it and someone had some magic trick.
ill give it a try though with your suggestion

I use knipex pilers, don’t use something with teeth. Grab the pipe and wiggle or rotate while pulling up

image.jpg

mine nave teeth but i might insulate with a rag

You can tape the jaws of a vise-grip pliers so it doesn't mar the surfaces of the bypass, clamp it on the bypass and use a screwdriver to 'pry' up from underneath the jaw of the pliers.

But honestly.....IF the bypass has never been removed/replaced chances are good it is going to give you trouble removing it.

Best to just have new one and O-rings on hand before starting. It is not an expensive part.

water bypass.jpg

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️ This is the route I took. The incumbent pipe was a complete mess by the time it decided to let go. New one popped in a treat ;)

You can tape the jaws of a vise-grip pliers so it doesn't mar the surfaces of the bypass, clamp it on the bypass and use a screwdriver to 'pry' up from underneath the jaw of the pliers.

But honestly.....IF the bypass has never been removed/replaced chances are good it is going to give you trouble removing it.

Best to just have new one and O-rings on hand before starting. It is not an expensive part.

View attachment 2854603
ive got new gaskets and orings for everything on the way from japan.
but thanks for the advice.
much apreciated

View attachment 2854603
i just looked up your part number and put on in my cart with my supplier in japan.
thanks mate

4 years ago when I did the HG on mine I remember it being a little tight but i just sprayed some CRC on the side of it and used multi grips with cloth between the teeth and the pipe and it came loose easily just by twisting a little. It then lifted straight out.
Ive had the car since new and its never been removed before that so wasnt any real drama. Has your rig always had the Toyota LLCoolant in it? I think this plays a big part as the insides of my cyl head and water pump were spotless and shiny like new (car was 22 YO and 478000km when the HG let go)

Rob

Freeze-Out Spray? haven't tried it but might shrink the tube enough to free the corrosion...
IMG_0092.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom