Removal of Roof Rack < MPG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With gas prices being what they are and sure to go up in the future, I'm wondering if it might make sense to remove the roof rack on my 100, and put it on only when I actually need it (usually before a camping trip which involves several hours of packing anyway, so the installation/disassembly time would be added to that activity.) Advantage would be better gas milage throughout the year. Are there any studies or reference numbers (or baring that anecdotal evidence) regarding the increase in MPG in a 100 with vs. without the factory roof rack.

Get a fairing.

It doesn't make much of a difference. Maybe 1 to 1.5 mpg when going 55 to 60 mph but it's hard to tell. I have the Rhino Rack base kit on mine and will run it one of three ways. 1) Nothing up there except for the RR base kit, 2) 3 of the 65" Vortex bars, 3) a 76" x 54" Pioneer platform. I've left it bare most of this winter as it's easier to go through a car wash and I can put the bars on in 5 minutes if needed. I haven't noticed any real gains around town but it did seem a bit better when I did 8 hours round trip of freeway driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom