removal of manual locking hubs 77fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mike

82bj42 1st project
Threads
I am having trouble removing the #4 allen head screws on the locking hubs. They seam to be stripping as I apply some force to extract them. Any tips on how to remove the damaged screws? Thx inadavance Mike

I tried soaking and hammering, however a few are stripped. What the best way to removed the stripped screws? Thx

Hi all, new to mud but have been working on Cruisers for about 10 yrs.

You can try hammering a torx bit in, or if all else fails drill the heads off and use vise grips to turn them out after the hub is off.
Good luck!

mike said:
I tried soaking and hammering, however a few are stripped. What the best way to removed the stripped screws? Thx

Ezout or any reverse drillbit/stripped screw extractor. Sold at your local hw store and even Sears nationwide. Then throw the Warn hubs as far as possible and buy some stock hubs. Cone washers are much more fun to deal with.

mike said:
Are Warn hubs bad? Why?
Thx

No, Warn hubs are good units, however they don't seem to be nearly as "maintainance" free as the OEM Aisin units.

You might try and find a pair of Aisin hubs (if you are still running a drum brake axle, Warn/Superwinch/Selectros are really your only choice)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom