Removal of Karr Alarm System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We recently bought a '97 LC that came with a Karr Alarm system. Both my wife and I generally hate car alarms and we are having issues with the remotes for this Karr system. Instead of investing money into it, I am looking into getting removed from the vehicle. Has anyone removed one or can you point me to a thread? I called the local service guy and they said that they have a mobile service for $75. I'm inclined to have them do it so my wife is happy, but if it is something real simple, then, I would prefer to do it myself.

Also, once removed, what about going back to the factory original remote control door locks? Can I program new remotes? Or do I need to take to a dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Unplug/remove the "brain" of the alarm and that should do it. It is usually located under the dash on the driver's side under the steering wheel. It's about the size of a man's wallet and will probably be secured with zip ties. Cut the zip ties and unplug and you should be good. It will probably be grey or black in color. Good luck!

I am unfamiliar with the Karr Alarm system, but many alarms have a "starter interrupt" for anti-theft purposes. If you just remove the alarm ECU and associated wiring, and it was wired with a starter interrupt, you will not be able to start the vehicle. You will need to find which wire/circuit on the LC chassis wiring was interrupted, and reconnect the two ends to complete the circuit. Sometimes the starter interrupt is tied to the neutral safety switch, or even the ignition switch.

Also, the OEM keyless entry is truly horrible, range is very limited, same button locks and unlocks (so you aren't sure if you just locked it or unlocked it, and if you lock it by hand/key it doesn't remember, so when you think you're locking it with the remote later, you actually just kept it unlocked), a decent quality aftermarket system will be a much better option.

Last edited:
98 SNAKE EATER said:
There's a fix for that ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLAwqft3A-o">YouTube Link</a>

Yeah, but thats just one of the crappy things about the alarm. If one is a diy-er, they can do a little better with $100 aftermarket system or much better for less than $200 (see sig).

I used to work for a company that installed Karr alarms for a Ford dealership. Post up pictures of the remote. If it's the KS240, all you have to do is unplug the "brain."
Firetruck 41 may be right though. Depends on how the alarm was initially wired/installed. We installed the Karr alarm so that the vehicle would perform like the alarm was never put in once the "brain" was unplugged. This was in case the customer did not purchase the alarm at the time of the vehicle purchase. If we had to take it out, the vehicle better not have had any alarm related problems or the dealership would have had our balls.

Here is photo of the top of the remote. Let me know if additional views would be helpful and I can upload them tomorrow.

photo.jpg
photo.jpg

That there is the Karr KS240 remote. I would just find the brain and unplug the harness. If the truck doesn't start after that take it to a shop or get a hold of these guys....SouthWest Dealer Services

With all that has been said, might it be worth it to keep the Karr system just for the keyless entry? My biggest complaint (besides the shot remotes) is alarm going off. Can I de-activate the alarm and just use it for the remote keyless entry?

did it a month ago

I just disabled the alarm from my 97' Took the brain out(black box driver's side wheel well) Took off the panel from under the steering wheel, then the steel frame. Unplugged the alarm harness and plugged the OEM harness back together. Really easy and took about 30 minutes. PM for details.

SUUEEET

Thanks for the offer. By the way, did the factory keyless remotes work after you pulled the Karr System?

Thanks

If you want to keep the Karr alarm for keyless entry you can put it in valet mode.
To do that, first disarm the alarm so the light pod is not blinking. Then simply hold the button on the back of the light until the light turns solid. Once the light is on solid, the alarm is deactivated but the keyless entry will still work.

Never got the fobs from the previous owner so couldn't say about that. I imagine it would work as per factory specs...if you were close enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom