Removable doors on a 55?

Anyone ever done it? It looks possible, but I think I'd have to take a little notch out of the front fenders for upward clearance when removing the doors.

Anyone got any info on it?

So I'm guessing from the lack of response that no one has done this....

There is a pig in the salvage yard not far from here. I think I'll just buy the doors off of it and cut them down to little more than hinges and handle. Basically just leaving a bar across to keep a kid from sliding out...

Sounds like a good plan to me. I might attempt it at some point get some good air flow in the summer. But I was thinking more like the dtrap doors kinda like the strap windows in a hascar.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ

Taking the doors off is no big deal, doesn't require notching, nothing but a ratchetwrench. A few guys have made nice half-doors. My secret plan is to accumulate enough stuff to make a full set (4 doors and a tailgate) of light(er) weight holllow halfdoors.

Yeah taking the doors on and off was easy. The only thing I needed was someone to help hold it up they are rather heavy.

bkcruiser

SILVER Star

I took the hinges apart and replaced the pivot shaft w 5/16 bolt. Just pull the bolt and door comes off!

bkcruiser said:
I took the hinges apart and replaced the pivot shaft w 5/16 bolt. Just pull the bolt and door comes off!
That's a good idea. You could even weld a ring on the top of the bolt for a fingerhold...

I'm in the process of re-pinning my hinges on the two front doors, as they have over the years, accumulated a nice wobble when open, basically they've worn out, so i turned up some new pins on the lathe.
who knows how long it will last, but it's better than before. now i just need someone to help me put the door back on and i can start on the passenger side door.

I like the idea of half cut doors, how cool would that be for summer, now what i really need is a parts vehicle..... hmm

Hmmm..... Half doors all the way around would be cool. But I had better have my kids strapped in really good!! I doubt the wife will go for it though...

Anyone have pics of a Piggy with half doors?

Top Bottom