Remote Start Works Everytime - Manual Start Intermittent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any suggestions about a possible culprit.
When i try to start manually (turn of key) starting is
intermittent. (Yes the starter contacts and plunger were changed)

When I use the remote start using the remote control it starts EVERY time?

I'm thinking the key switch might be intermittent.

Well doesn't the remote start use a relay to the starter? If so then its getting a direct 12v. When you use the key it has to go through the NSS and there is a voltage drop. Remote start aside, this is a common issue with the starter which is just a sign that a rebuild may be in your future.

Ya it kinda sounds like the key switch , You can get a new unit or remove it and clean the contacts.

The cleaning the contacts is not all that hard and might save you some money...

ken

Don't even think of the starter motor as a possible culprit. A remote starter does nothing that the ign switch doesn't do. If the remote start works but it wont key start then the problem is most definetly in the ign switch itself. Unless the remote starter has it's power connected directly to the battery (unlikely) in which case it could be a problem with the power input side of the ign switch being intermittent. Think loose or corroded fuse or connector. But most likely it's the ign switch. Just use the remote starter all the time. It's good to get the juices flowing for a minute or 2 before driving anyway. I think every car should have a remote starter.

You may wanna also check the wires coming out of the switch as most aftermarket remote starts are wired directly there. In my truck they only cut the insulation and wrapped the remote start relay wire over the exposed part and used tape over it. However in some cases they cut the wire and spice in the realay for remote star if its loose this may be the problem. In any case sounds ike the problem is in the switch area as it was mentioned here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom