Remote start for 1998 LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a comment and not trying to hijack your post, but warming up your truck at idle will harm your engine.
Explain this please.

Eh. The concern with that back in the day was having a carb dump too much fuel in and eventually diluting the oil and decreasing lubrication. It's not really a thing on modern cars and whatever does occur is likely negligible.

Or, my truck has a quarter of a million miles and you can hardly hear it run. Warming it up in the cold mornings isn't going to do anything to it.
This...

Just a comment and not trying to hijack your post, but warming up your truck at idle will harm your engine.

So my engine is going to last 400,000 miles instead of 425,000. I can live with that. ;)

Can't live with this:

Warm it up first.jpeg

I would also NOT get a checkmate, low quality and ive had to remove a few that went bad and have caused a no start condition. you could also go to your closest dealer and get a price for an aftermarket remote start to be installed, they should have an aftermarket installer that they regularly work with.

For me that is two Truck Accessory places in town that would do that for all the local dealerships, one of which is our friends place. But yes, in a different scenario you could do that as well or take it a well known car audio installer as they normally do them as well.

Explain this please.
There's plenty of information available if you want to search, but summarizing when the engine is cold the ecu works in open loop, which means that it doesn't use the sensors in your engine to adjust the mix and instead uses values preloaded in memory, which assume the worst conditions, creating a very rich mix. I'm sure you have notice the different smell coming out of your exhaust in a cold morning.
Once the engine warms up, the ecu switches to closed loop, and adjusts the mix based on the engine sensors.
The problem is that the engine idling takes a lot more time to warm up, running the engine rich for more time. If you start driving right away the engine would warm up faster.
As I said, I didn't want to hijack the OP, we can open a new thread and discuss further.

So that last one.. the whole avoiding stopping and going... Yeah that is like 98% of the world's daily grind.
While I am sure there is some science behind it (just like those with lead foots' tend to have worse gas mileage, more brake repairs, etc.) this is not something that is going to hugely impact the health of an already healthy system vs. that of a non-healthy one. This is probably also why most of the remote start systems have a default max run-time of about 15 minutes.

But if you feel the need to avoid those things at all costs, more power to you. This thread is about recommendations for certain remote start systems, not to debate the overall ethics or morality behind them and how much they "destroy" your vehicle or the environment.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a remote start that uses the factory FOB? I had a friend who had one back in the day - if they hit the Lock button 3 times, the car would start. No fancy apps or anything - just a remote start.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a remote start that uses the factory FOB? I had a friend who had one back in the day - if they hit the Lock button 3 times, the car would start. No fancy apps or anything - just a remote start.
Video above states that CompuStar systems can do this. Main caveat was that on some vehicles if you open the door this would trigger the system to shut the motor off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom