Remote start for 1998 LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So I will be picking up my new LC this coming Friday and driving her home. One of the first things that I would like to do to her is add a remote start seeing as the last couple weeks we have not had more than one day that was above 40* at highest.

From what it seems like, Compustar seems to be one of the better brands that has consistent reviews regardless of what forum, video, etc. However, with the wave of technologic advancements, the addition of companies like DRONE Mobile has me wondering if anyone has had one installed in a vehicle that didn't already have one.

This will mainly be used during the winter to warm the truck up while I am getting ready to leave for work seeing as my drive time is less than 15 minutes and only about 3 miles. During the warmer months I ride my bike to work so not a huge deal there but now when there is snow on the ground or ice I tend not to ride and drive. This will also be a "feeler" for adding one to my wife's '11 4Runner as she normally leaves her salon late at night and when there is snow on the ground or it is cold out it would be nice to have her have the ability to start it from within the salon (less than 200yds away) and warm it up while she is finishing things up.

Anyone have any "gotchas" that they can share from installation. Friend of the families owns a truck accessories shop so I will use them to do the install and they are an authorized Compustar/DRONE dealer.

Isn't excessive idling also bad for the truck? I'd love to add remote start as well since in Cali its the opposite in the summer months going into a hot car would be nice to cool it using the auto ac feature :D

I’ve had this system since 2013

58655397-5186-497F-90F5-686F5C12BA70.png

The viper It was on sale at Best Buy. I think I paid about $240 with it installed. I keep a hunting dog with me often and this unit can be programmed to run up to 60 minutes at a time. So if I’m out hunting and stop to eat dinner on the way home and it’s either really cold or really hot I can run the truck and keep the dog safe.

The viper It was on sale at Best Buy. I think I paid about $240 with it installed. I keep a hunting dog with me often and this unit can be programmed to run up to 60 minutes at a time. So if I’m out hunting and stop to eat dinner on the way home and it’s either really cold or really hot I can run the truck and keep the dog safe.
This is good to know. We have three mutts we keep with us when we go camping and go up to our family cabin. Would be nice to have them in the car and have the ability to start engine and idle while we eat at one of the local watering holes while they are inside. Normally this is after a nice long day swimming (warmer weather).

Also, let us know if you have a separate alarm system that is tied to it or if it is just purely a remote start system. Been kinda kicking around the idea of just the remote start but seems like lots of them easily tie in with the alarm systems.

Other cool feature is the ones that now have the smart phone and LTE capability so you can pretty much remote start and/or unlock/lock the vehicle from anywhere.

Last edited:
I have installed the arctic start system in multiple trucks. When done right it works great. Can also set a delay for glow plugs if you have a diesel. Have also installed the Drone module that they sell along with that. Pretty cool to be able to lock and unlock the doors, start it, and track it from your phone.

Just be aware though if the truck sits for any amount of time any alarm will draw down the battery, especially with the drone system.

I have installed the arctic start system in multiple trucks. When done right it works great. Can also set a delay for glow plugs if you have a diesel. Have also installed the Drone module that they sell along with that. Pretty cool to be able to lock and unlock the doors, start it, and track it from your phone.

Just be aware though if the truck sits for any amount of time any alarm will draw down the battery, especially with the drone system.

Good point. My trucks never sit for more than a few days, max of a week (vacations). But that could be something easily remedied by remote starting from where-ever if one has something like the DRONE mobile that can start the vehicle as long as there is service available.

I've had Viper/Clifford systems in almost all of my cars. Why that brand? It's what my installer carries and the price is right. Maybe $250 installed?

I opted for the smart start system on my LX. I can monitor on my phone anywhere with a data signal. It will alert me of low battery, and show me status of the car (location, direction, speed if moving, engine on or off...). I think it was $100 for the year? I'm a fan and will renew when it's time (coming up soon I think).

Like someone else mentioned, I use it a lot when I have the dog with me, which is often. The only bugaboo though, is that the car will only run for 20-30 minutes on the remote, then it shuts off. If anyone knows a work around for that, I'd be interested.

I've had Viper/Clifford systems in almost all of my cars. Why that brand? It's what my installer carries and the price is right. Maybe $250 installed?

I opted for the smart start system on my LX. I can monitor on my phone anywhere with a data signal. It will alert me of low battery, and show me status of the car (location, direction, speed if moving, engine on or off...). I think it was $100 for the year? I'm a fan and will renew when it's time (coming up soon I think).

Like someone else mentioned, I use it a lot when I have the dog with me, which is often. The only bugaboo though, is that the car will only run for 20-30 minutes on the remote, then it shuts off. If anyone knows a work around for that, I'd be interested.

I did see on some video reviews that some of the services allow you to modify the amount of run time. I want to say it was the DRONE Mobile service, but not 100% on that.

We have AutoMate 4115A on our LC and LX (both 04's). They were professionally installed last Dec. by a local radio shop that's been in business for 40 years - they've been great so far with no issues. Not a lot of extra bells and whistles (like the app) but the shop uses AutoMate due to the top notch build quality.

We also had AutoMates on our old Xterra and Tahoe years ago and didn't have any issues then either.

Good luck

Very Interested. What Viper Model are you guys using?

Want to say that the one that is the "Smart Start" basic compatible is the 5705/5706 version. Could be confusing things, just been going through lots of YouTube videos looking up information and reviews.

Just a comment and not trying to hijack your post, but warming up your truck at idle will harm your engine.

Just a comment and not trying to hijack your post, but warming up your truck at idle will harm your engine.

Eh. The concern with that back in the day was having a carb dump too much fuel in and eventually diluting the oil and decreasing lubrication. It's not really a thing on modern cars and whatever does occur is likely negligible.

Or, my truck has a quarter of a million miles and you can hardly hear it run. Warming it up in the cold mornings isn't going to do anything to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom