Remote mount battery’s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, been a while.
I’m looking into relocation both my start and house battery in my truck. Currently I have the two stock boxes in the front.
Reason for moving them is I have 6BT Cummins in mine as well as a ARB and M12000. The truck handles the weight fine but I’m wanting to move what ever I can off the nose and the Batteries are low hanging fruit.
I had thought of trying to make mounting plates on top of my rock sliders between the frame and the rocker, there is a good size pocket about half way down that would easily accommodate one on each side.
I know the other option is in the back under the truck but am also trying to take weight off the back and move what I can forward.
Anyone tried this with success or even failure?
Thanks!

Do you have a big muffler in the stock location? Seems like if your swap has a straight exhaust there might be room on that side of the driveline.

@Grandlooser, the closer you can get your added weight to that little "G" in the middle-ish of the vehicle, the much happier you'll be with how it handles.

main-qimg-44d0357571fa9cac39f3ebffcb671ad9-c.jpeg

Yup, best to keep the weight between the front and rear axles if possible.

So you want to move weight both rearward and forward?
That’s right, weight lower and inside the front and rear axle. Weight hanging off the front and back is never good as it’s got a leveraging effect.

Do you have a big muffler in the stock location? Seems like if your swap has a straight exhaust there might be room on that side of the driveline.
I have a Aero Turbine muffler in the factory...ish location. Exhaust runs inside the frame front to back. There is also a decent spot on the driver side behind the transfer case and in front of the fuel tank as well but ideally I would like both batteries on the passenger side to offset fuel weight, driver and fridge.

I have a Aero Turbine muffler in the factory...ish location. Exhaust runs inside the frame front to back. There is also a decent spot on the driver side behind the transfer case and in front of the fuel tank as well but ideally I would like both batteries on the passenger side to offset fuel weight, driver and fridge.
can you move muffler behind axle and make enough room in front of axle on that side?

What about having the batteries in the vehicle like on the foor in front of the 2nd row seats or is that space taken already?

I like the main fuel tank location being centered in the vehicle but it was obviously placed on the LH side as the primary design for the 80's was to be RH drive and have a driver on the RH side. Seems like the area just below the Rear Heater inside the frame rails would be an ideal location as far as weight displacement. That said there are challenges for undercarriage mounted batteries. Exposure to heat, cold (in deep snow or polar regions), increased corrosion, adequate protection from road debris or other items (logs, rocks, boulders, etc.), and access for replacement are all considerations that need to be evaluated.

I would have to have a manual battery disconnect accessible from the driver's seat if I went that route. The kind with a "T" handle and pushrod so I could disconnect the voltage in the event of an unwanted 12V DC arc welding event. You know the event created by one of those small vehicles that was supposed to be driven by the person in the driver's seat except they were busy texting.

can you move muffler behind axle and make enough room in front of axle on that side?
Yes I could do that, in all honesty I could delete the muffler for that matter. My only other concern would be heat in that area having the exhaust fairly close.

What about having the batteries in the vehicle like on the foor in front of the 2nd row seats or is that space taken already?
Not Practical, I have young kids and would rather keep heavy things like batteries out of the cab of the truck.

Yes I could do that, in all honesty I could delete the muffler for that matter. My only other concern would be heat in that area having the exhaust fairly close.
What are your thoughts on that thing anyway? Always viewed them about the same as fuel line magnets.

I like the main fuel tank location being centered in the vehicle but it was obviously placed on the LH side as the primary design for the 80's was to be RH drive and have a driver on the RH side. Seems like the area just below the Rear Heater inside the frame rails would be an ideal location as far as weight displacement. That said there are challenges for undercarriage mounted batteries. Exposure to heat, cold (in deep snow or polar regions), increased corrosion, adequate protection from road debris or other items (logs, rocks, boulders, etc.), and access for replacement are all considerations that need to be evaluated.

I would have to have a manual battery disconnect accessible from the driver's seat if I went that route. The kind with a "T" handle and pushrod so I could disconnect the voltage in the event of an unwanted 12V DC arc welding event. You know the event created by one of those small vehicles that was supposed to be driven by the person in the driver's seat except they were busy texting.
Yes I will need to design it right and be very careful of the layout. A short is a concern with any system, my truck has been fully re wired once for the house battery system and the Cummins swap.

If the batteries are mounted under the truck all the main power leads will have Fuses, Breakers and a main disconnect switch. All cable will be made with high quality ends, cable and proper abrasion sleeve/ shrink tube.

What are your thoughts on that thing anyway? Always viewed them about the same as fuel line magnets.
They actually work really well from what I can tell. Gives a nice muffled idle and then when you get on it they have a bit more tone. As far as claims of improved economy etc I have no idea.

The other thought i had is to use a lithium battery if you can't find a way to move the battery out f the engine bay - I have heard they are lighter and you may be able to get away with just one battery instead of two as you may be able to get enough amp/hr with one. There is also a thread under the the electrical/power forum section that has info about making your own battery from lithium cells. This may allow you to customize the shape of the battery to fit in areas that a standard shape might not fit - just a thought. Here's a link to that thread. DIY LiFePO4 battery install under ARB drawer wing - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-lifepo4-battery-install-under-arb-drawer-wing.1234866/

The other thought i had is to use a lithium battery if you can't find a way to move the battery out f the engine bay - I have heard they are lighter and you may be able to get away with just one battery instead of two as you may be able to get enough amp/hr with one. There is also a thread under the the electrical/power forum section that has info about making your own battery from lithium cells. This may allow you to customize the shape of the battery to fit in areas that a standard shape might not fit - just a thought. Here's a link to that thread. DIY LiFePO4 battery install under ARB drawer wing - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/diy-lifepo4-battery-install-under-arb-drawer-wing.1234866/
I have been keeping my eyes on them. I don't feel the benefits outweigh the negatives at this point. They are great for house loads like Fridges, lights charging etc but not great for starting. Putting them in a hot engine bay is also problematic from what I have read, then top it all off with the cost to get quality it's just not practical for me at this time.

Been thinking about it as well. I will be doing it on my 75 build because I don’t have room with the narrow front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom