Remote CB Unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have had them for 6 years - the head is sensitive to heat, so if you leave it direct sun for long, it will die (BTDT :mad:) - it also refuses to work under freezing temperatures (BTDT, too :rolleyes:) - I keep a spare head in the truck parts box now

it is not particularly loud, but I can hold it right to my ear

installation is easy, I have the little box in the toolbox under the driver seat and lay the head down on the bench beside me (no hanger)

I need a bigger and better antenna, though - I have run the Walmart el cheapos and the other trucks I wheel with complain that the reach is too short

Any comments or recommendations on the Cobra 75WXST remote CB unit for use in a 40...

Don

Don:

The 75WXST sucks. I've got one in the faux-lux, and the problem with it is the speaker. It has never been clear, and making it louder doesn't help. Even plugging in the external speaker doesn't help much. It's noticeably hard to hear other people on it, compared to a plain old CB.

I need to replace it on that truck. On the 40, we just went with a Uniden 510. I can easily use it at highway speeds with the top rolled up.

Dan

As mentioned, the speaker quality is not great. It does have a channel lock so you don't accidently bump to another channel, but the volume and squelch knobs do not. I often drive with it laying in my lap, and every time I key it up, the knobs have drifted from where I left them before. Sometimes the movement of rubbing on my leg maxes out the squelch, and you can't hear your buddis, regardless of how close they are. I would not buy another one. John

As mentioned the 75WXST sucks, for all the mentioned reasons. I even wired in an external top-quality Motorola external and sound quality is still bad. And not mentioned is the layout of the controls on the hand-held is clumsy. Get a traditional model and mount it overhead, like everybody else and you'll be much happier.

I have one in my other 4WD truck and it works great for me, but I plumbed the output sound into the truck stereo "aux" input. I guess I haven't used it all that much though; I never hook up the mic/head unit unless I'm going on a group run where cb is all they have.

For me Uniden pro 510 or 520 its the way to go, small,loud enough and crispy clear,i use a 3 foot ant Tiger Super One mounted on the ARB.
P1100465.jpg

I have the Cobra in three vehicles, all set up using my 40 year old Radio Shack SWR meter and using tunable Midland thru the glass antennas. The only vehicle that has sound problems is my old noisey 88 Ram 50, so it has a remote speaker. Great space saver, the weather band is great on the road. It works as good as my Uniden 520 in the 40.

yeah, I like mine, I just need to switch to a stronger antenna :meh:

I never use many of the hand controls after I set it at the start of a run - I don't yap all that much on the CB either, hell, I got a truck to wrestle :steer: :hillbilly:

CB

i have a cobra nightwatch 148, (I like the retro controls) and mounted it on the back of my console at first, later when I had a new console made I mounted it inside, just behind the the drivers seat on the tub rail I monted an external CB speaker dedicated to the CB only, I have always liked having an external speaker

antenna selection and swr tuning play a role in perf too

also check the trucker forums for cb choices as there is a lot of good info there

lots of different cb mounts on the site too---I like the forward overhead consoles and the roll cage mounts but I have a soft top and no cage yet eventually I think the radio will go overhead

I picked two of them up from a retiring RV'er, I gave one to my BIL who actually has it mounted on his motorcycle and it works great. I am going to mount mine in my 40 in a console I got from a decommissioned police car. The console has plenty of room for whatever you want to install. I'm going to install my stereo, two extra gauges, cupholders and I will have a little room left over for something else. I am still trying to find an antenna that blends well in the 40 w/o drilling big holes in the panels. I will check in to the ones already mentioned in this post though. If anyone has any others they would like to recommend - post up.

. I am going to mount mine in my 40 in a console I got from a decommissioned police car. The console has plenty of room for whatever you want to install. .

Any chance of a pic of this console and dimensions? sounds like a great idea

:)

I've had the 75W for about 9 years and have no problems with it. The sales tech boosted it a bit, so it has good range. I have the power unit mounted in the dash on an aluminum shelf behind an aluminum plate that attaches to the shelf. Works fine, have an external speaker, though I might look into that stereo aux input idea. The only real problem I have hearing is when on the highway with all the wind/drivetrain noise. I use a nice flexible Wilson on a spring with a detachable base. I have the mike holder mounted on the front of the Tuffy.

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom