Reminder to replace your Heater Ts! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is reminder that you should replace your heater Ts before it's too late!

The story: I parked in my driveway after a quick trip to the gas station (the 100 series' natural habitat) and smelled burning coolant. I popped the hood and started poking around looking for potential leaks as any fool would. In the video you see the resulting shock of when I inspected the heater hoses for leaking coolant. I got a face full of hot coolant as the hot-side heater T disintegrated upon my touch/wiggle inspection. I somehow managed not to get burned and immediately flushed my eyes without issue. I'm also lucky enough to discover this in my driveway and not up a mountain pass.

Don't be dumb/lazy like I was - just replace those Ts and put in good metal/brass ones with new clamps. My local O'Reilly's Auto had aluminum Ts for $18 in stock part 84543. There are many good write-ups here:

Glad you're ok!
Is new OEM T almost as good as metallic ones?
I figure the metal ones are a "lifetime" replacement but happy to have others chime in. If I put OEM Toyota ones, I'd plan to change it every 90k and/or timing belt service.

Someone mentioned brass tees for PEX lines at Home Depot - much cheaper than many other options: Apollo 1/2 in. Brass PEX-B Barb Tee APXT12 - The Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-Brass-PEX-B-Barb-Tee-APXT12/301541257. I used a PEX-fitting ball valve in another truck, and it worked perfectly with the cooling system hoses.
The only trick is getting the bottom hose (middle section) to fit in this fitting - as I believe the ID is slightly smaller (1/2in vs 5/8) than the crosses? But that may also mean you can reuse the clamps potentially.

Free bump for good advice. Have had both tees, all new hoses, and clamps on-hand for over a year. Just waiting on "free time to work on it".

Turns out that is today after work at Mapco.

20230719_194303.jpg

20230719_194840.jpg

The tee went to be with its maker at 313,898 miles FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom