Remflex Gasket for the EGR J-Pipe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DFXR

SILVER Star
Threads
1985 FJ60.

Who else has used the Remflex gasket for the EGR J-pipe to manifold connection, and how is it holding up?

A search found a couple people out there who've done it but I'm hoping for some more recent feedback, esp from anyone with the SOR stainless pipe.

Back story: I just replaced my intake/exhaust manifold, and at the same time switched to the SOR stainless EGR J-pipe with an OEM gasket. That lasted about 20 minutes after re-start. It's blown at the gasket. I didn't cry but I thought about it.

Probably operator error there, but since this little gasket is less than fun to get to I'd like to see if trying something different is worth it. Maybe the Remflex is a little more forgiving at that point where the j-pipe flange and manifold meet?

Thanks for any feedback.

1985 FJ60.

Who else has used the Remflex gasket for the EGR J-pipe to manifold connection, and how is it holding up?

A search found a couple people out there who've done it but I'm hoping for some more recent feedback, esp from anyone with the SOR stainless pipe.

Back story: I just replaced my intake/exhaust manifold, and at the same time switched to the SOR stainless EGR J-pipe with an OEM gasket. That lasted about 20 minutes after re-start. It's blown at the gasket. I didn't cry but I thought about it.

Probably operator error there, but since this little gasket is less than fun to get to I'd like to see if trying something different is worth it. Maybe the Remflex is a little more forgiving at that point where the j-pipe flange and manifold meet?

Thanks for any feedback.

Bump. I’m at the same cross roads.
Any one of you old 40/60 gurus have any wisdom the share on this?

Bump. I’m at the same cross roads.
Any one of you old 40/60 gurus have any wisdom the share on this?

I went ahead and did it. And then did it again. Still have a leak there.

I have not had success with either of the following:

SOR pipe + remflex gasket
Stock pipe + remflex gasket

Not sure what my next step is but I am really looking forward to shutting that j pipe the f up.

Pretty sure remflex is what I just pulled out of mine after about a year or so. Blew out. I had it blocked off though. Now have a proper TLC Performance block off plate and a homemade gasket cut out of some high temp stuff I got from NAPA. Too early to say how it will hold up.

It's not sounding good based on feedback so far...

494D2BB6-AE0C-43D7-AC7B-861E6A5C11C3.jpeg
Have you guys possibly mistaken it for a cracked pipe? (Haha, “cracked-pipe” :rofl:)

I replaced mine with remflex recently, and after replacing manifold and egr gasket I couldn’t find where the remaining leak was, turns out the pipe was barely cracked at the flange weld, could barely feel it with my hand but under load it was annoying.

Anyways I removed the pipe (with cooler) and welded’er shut, problem solved. Hopefully this is helpful for someone.

Both my stock pipe and the egr pipe have flanges that are not 100 pct straight. But they're close. I figured the reflex would help in that regard.

The stock one was re-welded at the flange at some point.

Stock pipe plus the stock gasket held up for a number of years, only went out around the time the manifold gasket blew. So I figured I would upgrade to the SOR.

The first iteration post-manifold gasket was SOR pipe plus stock gasket, and that lasted about an hour. Now I have gone down the reflex road and am basically trying any and all possible combinations. Whatever I'm doing is wrong, since the blow outs are happening pretty quickly.

Closing it off is sadly not an option. But since I cleaned my EGR valve while the manifold was off, the system works pretty well again. Except the j-pipe connection of course...

I had a SOR stainless steel EGR pipe installed with a Toyota gasket and the gasket didn't leak for years.

I think the failures (gasket blowouts) might be caused because the SOR pipe bend geometry doesn't fit exactly (mine didn't when it was test fitted). I think if the flange doesn't align perfectly flat when bolting it up to the manifold, (and it won't without tweaking it in a vise first) 1000° exhaust gases will channel microscopically along the looser side of the flange. Once the exhaust bores a tiny pathway across the gasket's looser side, it's only a matter of time before it literally tunnels a channel to the outside.

That's my theory today anyway. I think if the SOR pipe is bent first to fit perfectly flush, gasket leaks will go away (at least for a couple years).

I used the SOR SS pipe and OE graflex gasket and some ultra-high-temp orange RTV and replaced the studs with SS bolts (and high temp anti seize) and it's held for many years.

I used the SOR SS pipe and OE graflex gasket and some ultra-high-temp orange RTV and replaced the studs with SS bolts (and high temp anti seize) and it's held for many years.

Did you do any bending or tweaking of the SOR pipe like OSS?

I've got both pipes and multiple flavors of gasket (OEM, Remflex) sitting on the bench. Trying to decide what my next attempt will be. I also have some of that Permatex Ultra Copper that you're talking about.

I replaced the studs in the manifold with bolts so I wouldn't have to bend the SOR pipe. I would have had to loosen or remove the EGR cooler, or bend the pipe, otherwise.

I don't remember the bolt size (many moons ago), but I used short, maybe 16-20mm ones?

If you have or can remove the EGR cooler, then it's easy, even with the J-pipe studs. I made a SST (just cut down a harbor freight wrench) for the large bolt on the EGR cooler to make tightening that large EGR cooler bolt.

In any case, I think the current OE Toyo gasket is the best avail, unless somebody starts cutting copper gaskets.

sst0001-jpg.408938

I've had the cooler and 36mm nut off so many times recently that it's all pretty easy, except the part where the gasket blows. I have a big 36 that I have not gotten around to cutting down - I can get that nut off and on with some very short channel locks.

All mine I have done were SOR pipe and OEM gasket, tried the SOR kevlar gasket and it blew out. Mine have all now held up 10-15+ years.

All mine I have done were SOR pipe and OEM gasket, tried the SOR kevlar gasket and it blew out. Mine have all now held up 10-15+ years.

Same here. SOR J-pipe and OEM gasket (and I am using a Remflex intake/exhaust gasket for the manifold).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom