Remflex gasket and copper coat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pony up and buy a new gasket. Not worth the trouble

Already ordered. I figured it's not worth the hassle of putting everything back together, only for the vacuum leak to migrate to the used Remflex gasket.

^^^^ Possibly try re-using your existing gasket with generous coating of Coppercoat ???

I do have Coppercoat. But I'll probably just apply it to the new gasket.

Make darn sure your two manifolds are the same depth at each bolt location. I had this problem years ago when going back to a stock carb, I couldnt get an idle and discovered the vac leak. Even after having the exhaust side machined to match the intake it wasn't exact. I wasn't off much (IIRC about 4-7 /100's of an inch), but I ended up buying new flat machine washers from Austin Bolt (saw you were local to me) and placed them in a vice one at a time and filed off half to the same depth as my difference for each location. Then I used a Sharpie to mark the other side of the washer where I filed it so I could see the correct orientation when assembling. I used a stock TEQ manifold dry and torqued to spec and have never had an issue since.

Make darn sure your two manifolds are the same depth at each bolt location. I had this problem years ago when going back to a stock carb, I couldnt get an idle and discovered the vac leak. Even after having the exhaust side machined to match the intake it wasn't exact. I wasn't off much (IIRC about 4-7 /100's of an inch), but I ended up buying new flat machine washers from Austin Bolt (saw you were local to me) and placed them in a vice one at a time and filed off half to the same depth as my difference for each location. Then I used a Sharpie to mark the other side of the washer where I filed it so I could see the correct orientation when assembling. I used a stock TEQ manifold dry and torqued to spec and have never had an issue since.

Thanks for the heads up. I already had both the intake/exhuast flanges machined to match on the head-side. I don't have any vacuum/exhaust leaks at the head. I used ARP fasteners with the TPI header and they work great. Just trying to eliminate the vacuum leak between the intake manifold and the Redline Holley Sniper adapter plate. I have to pull the intake manifold to do so, so I thought I would ask about reusing the gasket. But I'm convinced - just replace the Remflex gasket. My time is worth more than the $40 (for the Remflex gasket) to do the job twice.

As an aside - are you up north in Austin? I saw a beautiful mustard yellow FJ40 pulling into a yogurt shop off 1431 a couple of weeks ago. Any chance that was you?

As an aside - are you up north in Austin? I saw a beautiful mustard yellow FJ40 pulling into a yogurt shop off 1431 a couple of weeks ago. Any chance that was you?

I'm up north off Anderson Mill, I don't think that was me on 1431

Btw, don’t use spray-on copper coat, it is watered down so that it will get out the spray nozzle, and it does not have the actual little specks of copper in it. Get the paint-on can of copper coat.

Btw, don’t use spray-on copper coat, it is watered down so that it will get out the spray nozzle, and it does not have the actual little specks of copper in it. Get the paint-on can of copper coat.

What brand do you recommend?

The brand name is Coppercoat, comes in spray can, and a can with a paint brush built onto the inside of the top lid (paint on).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom