Remaining transfer case teardown and SST workaround questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello again everybody.... So I'm stuck again. I'm at the point I need a bearing puller to get the bearing retainer out. Manual calls for SST 09308-10010, the picture looks like a pilot bearing puller, maybe bigger. I also see I'll need another SST 09950-20014, which seems like a different type of puller for another bearing. I already bought this from harbor freight, but I know I need at least 2 different pullers for the above SST's. Any suggestions on what to use and where to get it? Also wondering if anyone has suggestions on what the best hydraulic press would be to get the bearings/gears off the hubs. Thinking about taking them to a shop and having them do it, but if I can find a press that's affordable and will work I might do it myself.

On the assembly side (probably getting ahead of myself here), I've seen on Georg's video he uses a driver that looks like a large deep socket he drilled out or something. Anyone know what he's using? Thanks again for all the help so far, without the community here I would have given up a long time ago.

Hello again everybody.... So I'm stuck again. I'm at the point I need a bearing puller to get the bearing retainer out. Manual calls for SST 09308-10010, the picture looks like a pilot bearing puller, maybe bigger. I also see I'll need another SST 09950-20014, which seems like a different type of puller for another bearing. I already bought this from harbor freight, but I know I need at least 2 different pullers for the above SST's. Any suggestions on what to use and where to get it? Also wondering if anyone has suggestions on what the best hydraulic press would be to get the bearings/gears off the hubs. Thinking about taking them to a shop and having them do it, but if I can find a press that's affordable and will work I might do it myself.

On the assembly side (probably getting ahead of myself here), I've seen on Georg's video he uses a driver that looks like a large deep socket he drilled out or something. Anyone know what he's using? Thanks again for all the help so far, without the community here I would have given up a long time ago.
Georg @orangefj45, is a super friendly helpful guy, busy yes but I’d just call him.

Just take it to a shop with the manual page and show them what you want. It's a lot cheaper and easier than buying a heavy bulky press you'll use every 10 years. They'll have everything needed PLUS experience doing stuff like that

Harbor freight 12 ton press is affordable and is great for lots of projects on your truck. You won't regret one.

The best recommendation I can give is to buy a $20/year Silver Star so you can post unlimited pictures. You will save yourself 1000x that in what it would otherwise cost to have a mechanic do the work for you and will solve any mis-naming issues when you're trying to describe the issue and part you're having problems with.

You should be able to do the T'case without any SSTs save for the bearing/gear cluster that needs to be pressed apart and back together. If you're planning on doing more work to your cruiser, a compact 12 or 20 ton press is a must. The HF ones with a coupon are very affordable and work just fine, though I have had the jack fail but easy to replace.... True, you may only need it a few times, but if you can find one on Craigslist cheap it's worth it. Otherwise, find a shop familiar with Toyota t'cases and have them do the cluster.

I bought the 12 ton Harbor Freight press before I did mine and it was totally worth it. Georg talked to me any time I had questions and was super helpful.

I've got a buddy who works at a shop locally that said he can help me for a six pack. Also found a transmission shop who quoted me $50 for the work, but I'd rather pay in beer. Georg was super helpful, I've got the whole transfer case torn down and plan on starting the cleaning process next week. Thanks again for all the suggestions, all your help has been well worth the silver star purchase.

Oh, and just in case anyone is wondering how to get around the 2 SST's listed above:

09308-10010: Make sure you remove the detent ball/spring and hit the shift fork where it meets up with the linkage. A couple taps with a hammer will get the bearing retainer out pretty easily.

09950-20014: Georg said to just hit this one with a hammer to remove as the bearing gets replaced in the rebuild. I was able to slide mine off by hand after removing the stake nut, which is not unheard of according to Georg.

Thanks again to everyone helping me out. Once I'm done with the whole process I'm going to compile what I've learned into one thread for others to use and hopefully learn from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom