Relocating the CDL Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to relocate the CDL from the center dash to the left side of the steering wheel. I'm going to be putting in ARB's and I wanted all my locker switches in one location. I bought the switch from Custom Switches - Lightforce Custom Switches shipping is a bit much but doing all my electrical in one shot so ordering 9 switches made it feasible to go this route.

So I tapped into the rheostat for +/- illumination because I wanted the dim function, unfortunately doing this there is no indication light on the switch unless the lights are on. But the lights on the dash do the trick for indication.

I used a two bypass plugs, one to get the pin out of for pin 8 and the other to use with the relay. I tapped switched power off of the lighter circuit to trigger the relay and grounded the relay behind the driver side kick panel.

So 7 pin goes to terminal 30 on the relay, 10 goes to 87a, and 8 goes to 87.

I have a front locker and rear locker switch that will go directly below this one. I'll search and see if any one has integrated the dash light with their aftermarket lockers, I plan to since the switch wont have lit indication without the lights being on.
20200718_114613.jpg
20200718_093723.jpg
20200718_093727.jpg

Any reason why you didn’t just extend the factory harness?

EDIT: switch looks sweet btw!

Any reason why you didn’t just extend the factory harness?

EDIT: switch looks sweet btw!
This was still cheaper than the 100+ dollar CDL switch from Toyota. Was running a hazard switch before this.

This was still cheaper than the 100+ dollar CDL switch from Toyota. Was running a hazard switch before this.
I’m just talking about the wiring stuff. No biggy, I’m just wondering if there was an advantage to tapping into other circuits, etc?

I’m just talking about the wiring stuff. No biggy, I’m just wondering if there was an advantage to tapping into other circuits, etc?
Well it was definitely cost driven but also if anything ever changed in the future the stock harness would remain intact other than the power taps I added. So yeah I don't see any disadvantage to extending the harness. I just went this route mainly for cost savings and keeping the stock harness untouched

Forgot to mention, I'll be doing a number of other switches so tapping in to the harness for illumination and switched power had to be done for those too. So that was a benefit to doing it this way, when I wire up the other switches for the lockers that part will already be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom