Reliablility of an Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the replies. Im am thinking about buying weaver's rig but i need to get a job first....Im going to need to take out a loan so I really am looking for a reliable rig. I like wheeling my rigs but when Id go out wheelin in the exploder, I would always be the guy who needed a tow out of the mud...Ya that gets old. So if I do get the loan Ill definatly buy a 60...

mines got over 400,000 kms on it and id hop in and drive across the country with out worrying about it braking down.

When stuff does need to be repaired it usually leaks or squeaks for quite a while first to let you know.

Do the maintanance and you'll usually be rewarded.

It seems to me that for every 5% I put in to it, it gives back 95%. I try to do something productive for it every weekend, and it has only gotten better as the weekends have added up.

-Nick

My 60 is like my old panhead. Hard to get started, have to crank the windows up by hand:crybaby: ac does not want to cool right in the summer, wants to run hot cause I keep putting off changing the fan clutch and toyota thinks that parts are collectors items. But, everyday I walk past my wifes brand new Explorer(which I have never driven and don't want to) jump in the 60 and just keep on truckin. Go for it, I doubt if you will regret it.

As someone who is getting ready to jump into this whole world of the TLC but looking at and hopefully buying a 1987 FJ60 - all I can say is this thread is encouraging....I am just a hack mechanic but once upon a time could take my VW Bus apart (and did many a time) and put it back together better. As detailed in another thread - the '87 I am looking at looks clean and was a daily driver until the smog pump went out - needs a new front bumper but looks (from the pictures) to have little to no rust - I am going to go look at it tomorrow night - will report back....

I suppose I shouldn't really comment on the FJ60 but my my HJ60 has 350,000 on it and whenever a mechanic sees it they just say "its barely even worn in, you'll get another 300,00 out of it easy". They are designed to just keep on going and going and going, as far as I can tell you would need a sledge hammer and a pretty bad attitude to actually stop it! I don't know about the availability in the states but I'd say go the diesel if theres any about.

I lte the wifef drive the 06 Liberty diesel so I can drive the rusty, lowd, bumpy, slow, uncomfortable, smelly 60. I never thought I would love a wagon so much...
Jonathan

Solid

I bought my Cruiser for $1000 after it had been sitting for 2 years with 183,000 miles on the clock. After about $450.00 (not including OME/BFG upgrades) the odo reads 238,000 mi. I've driven this truck almost every day since , with the exception of my BMW bike with almost 80,000 miles on it, and like the bike the truck is among the most solid vehicle I have ever owned (10th Toyota. Never a problem). BTW, I bought it last November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom