Reliable 80 series shops in the area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I through out a lowballish offer to a guy with an LX450 I looked at yesterday and he said yes.... anyone have a recommendations for shops so I can get an estimate on an engine rebuild? I checked the radiator cap and there was some gunk on it and the bottom of the engine was covered in oil... but he said ok to 4500...

Here's the listing and some pictures I took for reference for the curious:

Edit: oh and any ideas what it would be worth after the engine maintenance?

Last edited:
Do some checking on your truck before jumping into a rebuild, it may not need it. Kinda hard to tell from the pictures but I bet your oil pump cover is leaking. That is common and not bad to redo. Generally the 1fz will be holding up fine other than leaks and worn valve seals which will cause oil consumption but not really hurt anything. All this is assuming it has NEVER been overheated, that is a game changer.
Consider new belts, every rubber hose including the "pesky heater hose", a new Koyorad radiator, new Toyota radiator cap, denso water pump, toyota valve cover gasket, toyota plug wire set, new platinum plugs, the new toyota oil pump gasket and new front crank seal, new toyota thermostat, and really a new toyota heater control valve.

Lots of stuff but it all kind of installs at the same time so not too bad.
ALWAYS use Toyota parts or denso equivalent when possible- everything else is pretty much garbage.

👍 That makes a lot of sense, I'm definitely hoping that a rebuild isn't necessary I was just wanting to hedge my bets and assume the worst. I'll need to test for exhaust gas in the coolant to see.

So I through out a lowballish offer to a guy with an LX450 I looked at yesterday and he said yes.... anyone have a recommendations for shops so I can get an estimate on an engine rebuild? I checked the radiator cap and there was some gunk on it and the bottom of the engine was covered in oil... but he said ok to 4500...

Here's the listing and some pictures I took for reference for the curious:

Edit: oh and any ideas what it would be worth after the engine maintenance?

Where are you located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom