Relay question - charge light warning relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed a noise coming from under the dash on the passenger side. I removed the plastic cover to expose the group of relays that are mounted on the inside panel(?). The thing that was making the noise is a relay. The description in my Haynes manual is "Charge light warning relay." Can anyone explain to me what this relay does? The book doesn't say and I'd rather not guess.

Thanks,

H

There is a schematic in the 2f engine manual. The relay is used with alternators that have the integral IC voltage regulator. Essentially the realy used to turn on the charge warning light when the alternator is not putting out enough current. I guess the relay is needed because the warning light bulb uses more current than the IC regulator can tolerate? If this relay is chattering, it could be that your alternator or regulator are on the way out. The 2f engine manual has procedures for testing the alternator, regulator and the relay.

Thanks. Something finally went out; I was on my way home last night when all the guages and other electrical components on my dash became irratic. Then everything went out. I managed to coast into the parking lot of an apartment complex. Now everything is completely dead. I saw a small amount of white smoke from the engine compartment and there was a bit of a burning smell. I didn't see anything obvious but nothing electrical is working. I'm having it towed this morning to my mechanic.

H

Learn to use a volt-amp meter. A short course in its usage will save you many a tow truck trips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom