Relay continues to click at startup and shutdown?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey crew

1991 HDJ80R

I’ve an issue with, what I believe is, a relay continuing to click after start up and at shut down. Engine is a 1HD-T and there is an old turbo timer fitted.

On starting the old girl, not always, but a lot of the time there will be a clicking noise, that sounds like it is coming from behind the glove box (right hand drive Aussie car). This will occur for up to 30sec before disappearing.

On shutdown, once ignition key is switched off (but engine still running due to turbo timer), many times the clicking sound returns until I shut off the turbo timer.

Clicking noise isn’t apparent at any other times while driving, stationary, etc, just at start up/shutdown

Any ideas out there as to which relays I should be looking at.

Could also be a solenoid I suppose, such as fuel cut off?

I haven’t looked at wiring diagrams yet.

Could the turbo timer, which would be about as old as the bus, be a culprit?

Thanks

Jimmy

This is a tough one. Do you have a make and model of the turbo timer to see if someone has experience with it?

I would get behind the glovebox and try to narrow down (hear and feel) where the clicking is, and go from there. May need a helper with the startup/shutdown process. Hopefully its as easy as a faulty relay and you pull and replace and away you go.

Good luck!

Timer is an old model BES, hopefully uploaded a pic of one.

Would it be wired to a relay behind the dash? Hadn’t thought about that...

Cheers

4B970C82-6512-41D2-BB7A-1DB21744E7F1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom