Relative Worth - '82 H41/Split Case vs. H42/Split Case?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm debating whether to sell a very low mileage (~78,000 miles) '82 H41/split case I've had stored in my garage for about 15 years, or install it in my '84 FJ60, then sell the replaced H42/split case (~181,000 miles). The monetary difference isn't the biggest factor, but it is a factor. Ever since I bought the FJ60 new I've always been able to off-road anywhere I've wanted to, but I've been 4-wheeling my '76 FJ40 a lot recently and enjoy the low gearing (it has an H41 and the 3-speed transfer case from my '71 FJ40, along with the stock 4.11 differentials). So I'm on the fence.

I'm just curious about what I might be able to sell the H41/split case combination for nowadays, vs. what I might get for the H42/split case combination. Either one would be complete with all shifters and linkages, so either one would be ready to drop in and run.

Any thoughts?

SOR has the h41 tranny for sale from time to time, usually $800+, transfer case extra. Used H42's are really common, so hundreds less. I had an H41 in my 60 for a few years with 4.11's and it was way easier to wheel than with the H42. It's a no brainer from my perspective, given that the cash value alone isn't the driver for you, I believe you'll get far more utility (and enjoyment) by installing the H41 into your 60 and selling that H42 for whatever you can get for it.

I had an H41 in my 60 for a few years with 4.11's and it was way easier to wheel than with the H42. It's a no brainer from my perspective, given that the cash value alone isn't the driver for you, I believe you'll get far more utility (and enjoyment) by installing the H41 into your 60 and selling that H42 for whatever you can get for it.
Thanks for your input. I'm kind of leaning that way based on my recent experience wheeling my '76 FJ40. My '86 FJ60 (when I finish the project) will have the 3FE, H55f/FJ62 split case, FJ62 axles with 4.11s, OME heavy suspension, and Warn 8274-50 winch. It'll be the go-to vehicle (when I'm not towing my '71 or '76 FJ40s) on longer road trips to 4-wheeling and camping destinations in the mountains and deserts. I'd be comfortable driving it up to your neck of the woods to visit our son and daughter-in-law there in Seattle. If I go with the H41 in my '84, I can take it where it's too nice for my '86 and still have the same low gearing as the H55f - the '84 has some body rust issues due to living much of its life in the high country of northern New Mexico so will be largely relegated to trail duty.

H41 is worth cash. H42 is not.
If you wheel, keep the H41. they are not making them any more (that I am aware of) and are getting harder to find.

Hmmmm Where are you? :hmm:

Hmmmm Where are you? :hmm:
Now don't go getting any funny ideas :). Hint: The photo to the left was taken in a place you don't normally identify with snow cover, but it happened on more than a few occasions when I used to live there (but don't any longer). Times like that I think Mace gets excited (snow melts and turns to WATER). Now I'm in a place where snow cover can last from November until May (at least it did one year, and skiing was fantastic). Here's a photo from May 1st this year:

FJ60-and-FJ62-in-Snow.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom