Related or Coincidence? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

had the front axle rebuilt a few months ago....so it is odd that the side I paid someone else to do has the problem....but it makes me feel better about myself and the work I do....yesterday morning it showed symptoms, there was a soft clunk when i applied the brakes....but didnt do the grind till in reverse...so today I will be double checking everything on the beast....

The verdict is in. Codes 12 (engine miss) and 26 (running rich) were pulled, and found that the passenger side O2 sensor was reading "too rich". The passenger side wiring harness was swapped with the drivers side, after which the drivers side O2 sensor was reading "too rich". Moisture was then found in the passenger side wiring harness connector. It was cleaned and reinstalled and voila, my boy is back.

No damage was caused by resultant bucking from the bolt coming out of the bottom of the caliper. In fact, the bolt was found resting in the spring mount, and was OK to reuse (after retapping and cleaning all of the threads).

I'm strongly leaning towards this being a coincidence. I'm not sure how moisture got into the connector, if in fact moisture is the cause of the code. The car hasn't been in rain for some time. The only thing I can think of is condensation from the a/c system blowing into the connector while driving.

Anyhow - thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

- Matt -

What a great feeling! I love when everything is working and back to normal.

You said it. I hate having my cars at the dealership... makes me feel defeated.

Here's a pic of the scrape to the inside of the wheel. The service adviser I spoke to said he's had people come in with similar situations where the rim had split in half from the caliper grinding on the inside of the wheel so much.
photo.jpg

Here's a pic of the scrape to the inside of the wheel. The service adviser I spoke to said he's had people come in with similar situations where the rim had split in half from the caliper grinding on the inside of the wheel so much.

Wow, some people are either dumb as rocks or have one hell of a sound system. I've had caliper bolts come out twice, there was no question about the need to get off the road, now.

BrotherRob said:
Wow, some people are either dumb as rocks or have one hell of a sound system. I've had caliper bolts come out twice, there was no question about the need to get off the road, now.

That, or their wheels really suck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom