Reinstall or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Front bearing issues here… While preparing to replace rotors, pads and calipers, I discovered a nick on one race and some discoloration and stripes on the bearings. I previously resolved a death wobble issue, so wondering if that caused some of this. The nick looks to be from someone getting feisty with a seal puller prior to my ownership. I tried sanding it down with Emory but it’s substantial enough to not go away. What say you guys? Repack and let it ride or replace?
6BB6DBC1-D314-48BB-9990-E70DD6A1A3B9.jpeg
5E945EA7-802F-4EFC-BDC2-6660655BD29D.jpeg
3D5E3093-F0F2-495B-A6E2-6A5C2C337A83.jpeg

unless you have the complete kit i would just slap them back in and do it when ready to replace it all.

Being a Mechanical Engineer with a materials science degree my recommendation would be if in doubt replace. Why do the job half way and have to redo it later? I do not like the look of that bearing surface. I believe that spall will continue to grow and cause bigger problems. If that bearing suffers a complete failure you risk replacing more than just bearings. I hope that helps.

Well, do you need this to run tonight? for the next few days?
those would be the questions I would ask my self.
If you need it to run today, then pack the bearing and drive for the next couple of weeks.
Then Replace the bearing Soon when you have time. If you have another vehicle to drive, then
maybe let this set till you get a new bearing.
Good luck.

My local napa has koyo bearings, might go check it out if you need now.
I also second that you don’t sand or grind on a race, and replace as bearings and races are a matched set

The friction surface of the bearing looks a bit contaminated. It shouldn’t have a brown hue. Its should be shiny silver steel.
Yes that bearing can be reused but know this:
Catastrophic bearing failure sometimes happens when the bearing cage no longer can contain the rollers. Typically this happens when the bearing roller diameter gets smaller due to inadequate lubrication or extended over-use. Once the cage loses a roller - the bearing grenades and pretty much the entire hub and spindle turn into steel spaghetti. It truly is a disaster.

So the part of the bearing to be extremely critical of - is the gray outer cage that retains the rollers. That thing keeps the bearing together.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I’m going let it sit and get new bearing kits. This also caused me to take a closer look at the spindles. Not sure if this should be of concern as well, but spotted a couple of small fairly shallow nicks. Any concerns with this?
677FDC50-315D-4C45-953B-229B27AE4999.jpeg

Put it back together with a good handful of potting soil so it has the nutrients it needs to heal, tourqe to only 25 ft/lbs so the race has room to grow, then top off with organic grease mixed with hemp oil. Last step : dissregard everything I said and get the front axle rebuild kit.
Hahahaha! I’m actually considering it now that I’m in this far and see what I’m seeing it.

My local napa has koyo bearings, might go check it out if you need now.
I also second that you don’t sand or grind on a race, and replace as bearings and races are a matched set
Hadn’t thought of that!
Well, do you need this to run tonight? for the next few days?
those would be the questions I would ask my self.
If you need it to run today, then pack the bearing and drive for the next couple of weeks.
Then Replace the bearing Soon when you have time. If you have another vehicle to drive, then
maybe let this set till you get a new bearing.
Good luck.
Kind of in a pinch, but think I should be able to figure something out hopefully. Need it back down on all 4 before Sunday (flying out for work).

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I’m going let it sit and get new bearing kits. This also caused me to take a closer look at the spindles. Not sure if this should be of concern as well, but spotted a couple of small fairly shallow nicks. Any concerns with this?View attachment 3215964
I would run the spindle.

That nick is in a non load bearing and non sealing area.

I would run the spindle.

That nick is in a non load bearing and non sealing area.
You just saved my attitude for the night, thank you, haha!

Put it back together with a good handful of potting soil so it has the nutrients it needs to heal, tourqe to only 25 ft/lbs so the race has room to grow, then top off with organic grease mixed with hemp oil. Last step : dissregard everything I said and get the front axle rebuild kit.
19 posts in 3+ years? You should come out more. :hillbilly:

I occasionally peek out from under my rock when I sense unhelpful help is needed.
Despite your resistance, you did plant a seed. So punny…

3d5e3093-f0f2-495b-a6e2-6a5c2c337a83-jpeg.3215947

That bearing is toast. The rollers are covered in brinell marks (dents).
If you had to reassemble to get you out of a back-A$$-of-beyond type location, so be it. But if the truck is sitting in your driveway, the bearing and races should changed.

3d5e3093-f0f2-495b-a6e2-6a5c2c337a83-jpeg.3215947

That bearing is toast. The rollers are covered in brinell marks (dents).
If you had to reassemble to get you out of a back-A$$-of-beyond type location, so be it. But if the truck is sitting in your driveway, the bearing and races should changed.
Agreed, I knew something was wrong. Just didn’t want to admit defeat 😂 . In all my years of cruiser ownership, packing and repacking, I’ve never seen this nonsense. The truck had a death wobble though (carried over from previous owner), which I’m blaming for this to make me feel better.

So I’ve decided i’m just going to tear down the front axle and go with the @cruiseroutfit rebuild kit to rule out any other problems that the death wobble may have created. I’m pretty sure I want to replace the spindles as well. Has anyone had experience with the @TRAIL TAILOR chromoly spindles or would recommend not going this route as opposed to trail gear or oem? I can’t really see a downside myself.

Edit: looks like trail tailor spindles are 4130 as opposed to 4140 chromoly. Not sure what oem would be or if the difference between all three is significant enough to go one way or the other.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom