Regular Oil put in by mistake....problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my TLC to have some work done and they accidentally put in regular oil - I usually use Mobil 1 syntheitic.

They are draining and replacing with the Mobil 1.

Should this cause any problems?

Thanks for your thoughts!

:beer:

No, it won't cause any problems.

In all lies is a grain of truth. Early in the days of synthetic, the compounds in the oil had different effects on the internal seals of an engine. Petroleum contained distillates that caused the engine seals to expand or "swell". The seals would wear to the correct tolerance for that component and everything would be fine, until the owner switched to synthetic oil . Synthetics did not contain the distillates and the seals would return or "shrink" back to their original size.
This caused sometimes incredible oil leakage issues. An interesting side bar is the invent of several "stop leak additives" to battle these problems. The primary component of these was and still is today.... Petroleum Distillate
If an engine had synthetic oil in it from the beginning and for the majority of its existence, the seals would not swell and wear until the owner switched to conventional oil. Once the switch was made, you could never go back due to the extended wear to the motor.
Both synthetic and conventional oils are "engineered" today making them very similar in detergent and distillate levels, so switching is not so much of an issue anymore.
(Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071013183609AAkFqfN )

You should be fine. Let us know if you do have any issues.

Last edited:
Very informative post 2000UZJ, I'm about to change my oil for the first time in my 98, the previous owner has always used conventional oil, could it be a problem for me to switch to synthetic?

OP, I couldn't imagine that causing any harm, I wouldn't be worried at all.

Very informative post 2000UZJ, I'm about to change my oil for the first time in my 98, the previous owner has always used conventional oil, could it be a problem for me to switch to synthetic?

OP, I couldn't imagine that causing any harm, I wouldn't be worried at all.

Most people go from regular oil to synthetics. I'm about to do the same but haven't had much time.

I switched years ago when I started doing oil changes myself (was previously lazy). I haven't had one problem (leak or wear) and was getting glowing reports from Blackstone Labs on wear... up until I went a full 15k miles on Mobil 1 EP.

I switched a number of high mileage / high tolerance engines. Walmart's super tech full syn and Shell's Rotella full synthetic produce some amazingly clean numbers. Neither are particularly inexpensive. BTW, the supertech oil filer is a bargain. Very good for $3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom