Registering out of state relic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So.... your experience may vary. I took my paperwork from the dealer to the DMV today. I had it insured the moment it left the dealership just in case. So here was the process for a 1981 FJ43 purchased from Gateway Classics (Orlando showroom, so FL title)
  • Told her what I had and she asked me for all the paperwork from the dealer and my license
  • The insurance info was in the paperwork
  • She highlighted a few pages, asked me sign the title, then another document, not sure what it was
  • Asked me if I wanted a plate, I said sure!
  • Told the taxed owed, paid that
  • Asked me to select a plate type
  • Took a 12-21 sticker and put that on the plate
  • Printed the registration and handed it all back to me with a "enjoy your new ride"
Thats it. No mistery inspections, nothing else. I asked if I needed any other inspections and she said "no, you are all set until next December, title will come in the mail".
you will have to have it inspected, the vin will be flagged . happened with all mine.

Maybe since it is an import there is no issues.

I ran out of there, got my plates and stickers.....

But seriously, there is no website that I have found that explains the process. If you guys hadn't mentioned anything from your experience, I would have never known about the other secret process. The DMV site just states to register it like any other car, including the odometer reading statement. I was concerned about that since the dealer I bought it from said "you wont need it" from their experience selling to NC residents, and they were right, she told me I don't need it due to age of car, and don't even needed a safety inspection.
And I rushed to get a horn.....

So.... your experience may vary. I took my paperwork from the dealer to the DMV today. I had it insured the moment it left the dealership just in case. So here was the process for a 1981 FJ43 purchased from Gateway Classics (Orlando showroom, so FL title)
  • Told her what I had and she asked me for all the paperwork from the dealer and my license
  • The insurance info was in the paperwork
  • She highlighted a few pages, asked me sign the title, then another document, not sure what it was
  • Asked me if I wanted a plate, I said sure!
  • Told the taxed owed, paid that
  • Asked me to select a plate type
  • Took a 12-21 sticker and put that on the plate
  • Printed the registration and handed it all back to me with a "enjoy your new ride"
Thats it. No mistery inspections, nothing else. I asked if I needed any other inspections and she said "no, you are all set until next December, title will come in the mail".

Maybe. I did the same - twice. Then I received letters from Raleigh saying I had X number of days to get the vehicles inspected or the license plate tag would be invalidated. One of these vehicles was already titled in my name but from out of state. I ignored the letters but then it became impossible to get the next years sticker. Hopefully you can avoid but but I suspect you will get the letter too. Front end DMV workers are like TSA - they are their to move the line along.

Here is a sample letter. Hopefully @Roxx is correct since it's foreign. But I know private party from out of state requires the inspection - despite what the counter worker says

image.jpg

Here is a sample letter. Hopefully @Roxx is correct since it's foreign. But I know private party from out of state requires the inspection - despite what the counter worker says

View attachment 2531247
Should add the DMV office gave me a license plate prior to getting this letter. They get the fees up front then push back on completing the process. Makes them more money than to turn folks (and $) away initially.

Should add the DMV office gave me a license plate prior to getting this letter. They get the fees up front then push back on completing the process. Makes them more money than to turn folks (and $) away initially.
same here, it will be flagged.

Thanks! Will be waiting for it. I didn’t buy private party, but from a dealer that has showrooms in about 12 states, HQ in Chicago I think. Maybe that makes a difference? my wife was amazed that they would just let me drive it legally. I need to fix the brakes...

When I bought The Jalopy in VT, it was too much work to get it up to snuff to pass inspection to drive legally. I’d just sneak it up the road and hop into the woods near the house- actually the place I tried to take you and Richard that had unfortunately been turned into a no vehicle access state forest.

When I got to NC, it really didn’t matter how bad a P.O.S. it was. NC said, f*** it, if you want to drive something that old, we don’t care if it’s safe. Tires we in bad shape, no horn, headlights didn’t work, brakes were terrifying, puked coolant everywhere, no flashers. Didn’t matter.

Okay, to close out my process today, got the title. So this was an fj43 purchased from a dealership in FL, shipped to NC:
  1. Take all sales paperwork and dealer title to DMV
  2. Pay the sales tax and other stupid tax, walk out with plate and registration
  3. Called DMV 2 months after registration to find out why the title wasn't done yet, they told me it was a mistake on their end but it will be done soon
  4. 10 days later title arrives
That was it, didn't have to do anything else, no letters from DMV, yet. Not sure why others are different, besides my mom telling me I am special....

Okay, to close out my process today, got the title. So this was an fj43 purchased from a dealership in FL, shipped to NC:
  3. Called DMV 2 months after registration to find out why the title wasn't done yet, they told me it was a mistake on their end but it will be done soon
That was it, didn't have to do anything else, no letters from DMV, yet. Not sure why others are different, besides my mom telling me I am special....
Izzy, Your comment reminded me of a funny song a school teacher friend of mine, Chris Michaels, wrote and sang on a Charlotte morning radio show years ago.

Izzy, Your comment reminded me of a funny song a school teacher friend of mine, Chris Michaels, wrote and sang on a Charlotte morning radio show years ago.

That is funny!
My mama said I was kind of special, once....
1616618732610.png

Hey, I would love to see your 43 someday. I have a 78’ FJ43 from Columbia. Just finished replacing timing cover seal, radiator, fuel filter, FJ Jim rebuilt my Carb., Replaced fuel tank and lines...water pump. A friend of mine is a 30+ mechanic, big help. Put a little gas in the carb and she started up on the first try. I am near Lake Norman State Park. P. S. I purchased from a sailor in Norfolk. Took paperwork to Mocksville and was out in 10 minutes.

These things are tricky for sure. I hope to be out in Uwharrie Saturday for the event across the outpost, so come on out if you can!

Okay, time to renew registration on fj43. Gladly it is on the same cycle as my 80. Inspected the 80 over the weekend and went this morning to pay for renewal, $100. Not bad, the valuation is $2300.

Not knowing what to do for the 43, I entered the information needed in the portal and it was ready for renewal too, no inspection needed. Paid that one, $200, got the email receipt for both.

Last edited:
@izzyandsue I am impressed that you escaped the inspection. DMV’s don’t like strange VIN #s with foreign cruisers.

While it was easy process for me to have the Troopy inspected, it did get attention by the DMV, Troopers and ATF. That is a story best told in person.

Well, I did pass a "Grant" with my application for the title at the DMV, one of those things you learn growing up in Miami. "Its not bribes, its a contribution."

But you can see on red letters under the Due Date below, NC INSPECTION NOT REQUIRED. That tells me, like most agencies and companies, there is no process, the process is whatever the person decides to do when they get work.

1634659711991.jpeg

Actually, the “no inspection…” in red is because of the age. It used to be 35 years or older had that. I wanna say I heard it’s younger now? Also, every vehicle in NC now needs safety only once it hits 20 years, until it hits the No Inspection milestone.

Actually, the “no inspection…” in red is because of the age. It used to be 35 years or older had that. I wanna say I heard it’s younger now? Also, every vehicle in NC now needs safety only once it hits 20 years, until it hits the No Inspection milestone.
But also I am a special boy, my mom told me so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom