Registering out of state relic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
Read a few older similar posts, but not sure what the final outcome of each was. Bought a relic, 40 year old vehicle from the republic of Florida. Every site I read has differ answers as to what is needed for title and registration . The antique car law has changed and there might be a benefit on lower yearly tax. But regardless, does anyone remember what documents where actually needed for title and registration ? I sent the dealer the odometer form and the accident form that one site said was needed, but dealer responded that due to age, those are not needed by NC, based on their experience selling to NC owners. I just don’t want to go back and forth to dmv if I can help it. Calls and emails to dmv in Raleigh have gone unanswered for a week.
I am sure it won’t be simple, but does any one know what the process is? another thread said you can’t go to a title office need to go to a license office.

Read a few older similar posts, but not sure what the final outcome of each was. Bought a relic, 40 year old vehicle from the republic of Florida. Every site I read has differ answers as to what is needed for title and registration . The antique car law has changed and there might be a benefit on lower yearly tax. But regardless, does anyone remember what documents where actually needed for title and registration ? I sent the dealer the odometer form and the accident form that one site said was needed, but dealer responded that due to age, those are not needed by NC, based on their experience selling to NC owners. I just don’t want to go back and forth to dmv if I can help it. Calls and emails to dmv in Raleigh have gone unanswered for a week.
I am sure it won’t be simple, but does any one know what the process is? another thread said you can’t go to a title office need to go to a license office.
you have to have it inspected by the highway patrol, theft division. make ane appointment and they come out. but I'm sure it's the same due to covid.

it wasn't hard at all , did for the stout. had to have both the 45 and the 73 inspected,also.

Same as @forrest5000 when I bought the '71 FJ40: Make an appointment with the DMV for a trooper to do the theft inspection. Once that's done, take your paperwork to the plate/registration office and you can do the normal registration, or register as an antique. You'll need to have it on your insurance before you can title/register it. They can explain the impacts/differences based on current regulations.

Thats interesting, I dont see anything on DMV about theft inspection, or how to schedule one. They do that even it has current FL title and sold by a dealer?

Yup, pretty easy. The Jalopy doesn’t even have a VIN that the DMV systems could recognize (not enough digits).
Just a hand written bill of sale and 5 minutes with a Statie looking it over and I had the plates.

Do you remember where you scheduled the trooper thing? I have bought 3 cars over the years from outside nc and to register them was just title to dmv, pay the tax, and out. But those were not oldies, closer to 3-8 year old cars. Is the theft inspection for older vehicles?

Just go into or call the dmv office near you. Ask for the inspector nearest you phone number. Normally you go to his office but becasue of covid they will come to your house. They check the vins making sure you junk is not stolen and your good to go.
I had to do it with my 40 and just went and asked because I wasinquiring one of my other older trucks I have.

I've registered 4 vehicles from out of state this year. The inspection was the biggest hassle. For CLT, the officers are in Huntersville. They take appointments from 8-10am then they head out. One week was the quickest. An officer comes to your house and checks the VIN. They called mine into their database office from my house and emailed me the theft report the next day. You must have a copy of that report when you go to DMV.

No biggy the operator is a complete bitch. The investigators are really nice. They are only there from 8-10 like the other said. They came to my house i left the truck unlocked and they inspected. He left the paper work inside for me to register it.

Yes. Call the theft and investigation bureau in huntersville.

Do you remember where you scheduled the trooper thing? I have bought 3 cars over the years from outside nc and to register them was just title to dmv, pay the tax, and out. But those were not oldies, closer to 3-8 year old cars. Is the theft inspection for older vehicles?
Yes, I think I had to schedule it.
The office was 1.7 minutes from Marsh Oaks in Wilmiwood and it was close to 9 years ago, my memory may be a little fuzzy.

Well, called this morning, the upbeat young lady said you have to bring it in Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday between 8-10 am to their location. When I asked if it was okay then to drive there without a plate to get this done, she said "that's on you".

Get insurance and put your tag on it. You have 30 days to register it. You will be fine.

So.... your experience may vary. I took my paperwork from the dealer to the DMV today. I had it insured the moment it left the dealership just in case. So here was the process for a 1981 FJ43 purchased from Gateway Classics (Orlando showroom, so FL title)
  • Told her what I had and she asked me for all the paperwork from the dealer and my license
  • The insurance info was in the paperwork
  • She highlighted a few pages, asked me sign the title, then another document, not sure what it was
  • Asked me if I wanted a plate, I said sure!
  • Told the taxed owed, paid that
  • Asked me to select a plate type
  • Took a 12-21 sticker and put that on the plate
  • Printed the registration and handed it all back to me with a "enjoy your new ride"
Thats it. No mistery inspections, nothing else. I asked if I needed any other inspections and she said "no, you are all set until next December, title will come in the mail".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom