Registering foreign Land Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!!

my dad was finally able to get his land cruisers to run and now we need to get them registered.

What are the steps that need to be taken? A little background about his BJ40s, he imported them from Nicaragua a couple months ago.

8CB1ABCF-E33E-4A63-BBC5-C49608F4DC73.jpeg

You might give Fry Auto Title Service a call. I do all of my registration and title work with them. Very knowledgeable.

You’ll have to do a VIN inspection with your local county Sherriff department. With the correct import paper work you should not have any issues. I just did one from Japan and 2 others in recent years ( Canada and Central America) You have to have the title work (translated into English and the port of entry docs. I may be missing something but it’s pretty straight forward if you have all the correct documents. Once inspected (they will review the 3-4 documents) you go to your local tax office and process the paperwork and get titles. Also need to have proof of insurance. I believe another document is a bill of sale.

@CenTXFJ60 summed it up pretty good. I’ll add a few things that I remember.
The most convenient place for theft inspection for me was San Marcos. At least when I did my mine the sheriff department did it once or twice a mount, no appointment needed. The deputy spent a few minutes looking it over and then another 20 just chatting about. I was the only one there.
Austin had one guy who did appointment only once a month. He was booked for three months.
For title translation I used a random online website. $20 I think.
I brought all my paperwork to one of the Travis County satellite title offices and got a title. Be aware that they will take the foreign title from you so make a few extra copies for yourself. I was bummed they took my Costa Rican title as I thought it was a pretty cool thing to have. I guess I could get another one since technically it’s still titled there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom