Registering a import with only one VIN# (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, has anyone had any experience registering their 40 with only the VIN on the frame? Or do you need the body plate as well?

Hi guys, has anyone had any experience registering their 40 with only the VIN on the frame? Or do you need the body plate as well?
I assume you mean registering the Cruiser in the U.S.

No Canada, I have the ownership papers, and all the numbers match up however I only have the VIN inscribed on the chassis

No Canada, I have the ownership papers, and all the numbers match up however I only have the VIN inscribed on the chassis
Sorry can't help you there.
Good luck.

spoke, to customs, and the chassis VIN is sufficient in order to clear customs, left a message with the Ministry of Transport in Ontario....

I have imported 5 trucks into the USA from Colombia. This is what is difficult when I get asked these questions ( not saying anyone asking here but just throwing this in ) as the answer is...
it depends. Your are exporting out of one country so it depends on their export rules.

Then you are importing into the US... So far getting through EPA and DOT at the port for me has been fine. Essentially you are signing waiver forms and declaration forms based on the chassis number and the Colombian registration papers and engine requirements. It is on you and if they inspect it the truck gets delayed and you get fined or whatever.

Then VIN inspection etc is a different animal. Depends on whatever county you are in my case it is one county in Florida. Your experience can be different in another county in Florida and certainly in another state.

I have dealt with DMV guys that want to see the 17 number VIN on the door. Well the problem is Colombian spec trucks only use chassis numbers on the chassis and on the data plate. In my case in one county in FL they like to see that data plate. It has taken some convincing to get the approval but I have been able to get it through.

THEN once the VIN is verified you take it to register it in your county like you would any used car you purchased. EXCEPT they will want to see the Colombian registration and will want some docs to show a value to tax you.

so answer is...
1. country export docs and regs
2. US DOT and EPA import (standard for all USA I imagine)
3. VIN verification/inspection. depends on your state and county.
4. registration again depends on your state and county.

Please remember every country is different. US import regs are 25 yrs and older generally. Canada I believe is 15 and older.

Export out of Costa Rica, Colombia and Australia for instance all different rules as each country has its own laws.

Would be fun to drive a Costa Rican FJ40 in Canadian snow. Be sure to rust proof it! enjoy

Ya I'm pretty sure this 40 is Colombian. In fact almost positive. I only have the chassis vin.
The customs guy I spoke with over the phone said if the body does t have a different Vin then it's fine. Plus because its 15 years or older the process is a lot easier as its not regulated by transport Canada.

Proud owner of Beast. 77 BJ40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom