regearing to 4.56 for 2b engine and 33 tires please reply. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi guys I put on 33 1050 tires last week
the car luggs a bit with only 90 hp.

I liked the jumpynnis , torque and acceleration when i had 29 tires on. real landcruiser feeling:steer:

most people say and drive 4.11 with 33, but with a 2f and most are modded with headers or carbs etc.
a lot more power and rpms compared to a small 3.2 littre diesel.

will regearing to 4.56 get back the old jumpyniss, accl. and torque?
:bang:

have good day

Tin Tin said:
will regearing to 4.56 get back the old jumpyniss, accl. and torque?
:bang:

have good day

No it will not....turbo is what you need

ok.
thats harsh.
and sarcastic I hope

What gearing do you have in it now I have 4.10 in my 44 with 33's it still has the quick jump in 1st not so much when I try starting off in 2nd gear I think with 4.56 you will lose your top end speed.

What gearing do you have in it now I have 4.10 in my 44 with 33's it still has the quick jump in 1st not so much when I try starting off in 2nd gear I think with 4.56 you will lose your top end speed.

i assume 4.11
do you know what came with in japan?

i was hell rider with the smaller tires i had, they would squirm when releasing the gas in first gear.
jerk as hel when stopping the clutch and gas.
but now it sluggs a bit.

Last edited:
stomping**

It's a sub 100 hp motor driving a 3500 pound truck. If you want to be able to do 55-60 without sounding like you are inside the engine bay, I would leave it alone. Toyota aren't perfect but in terms of getting the ratios right for best all round performance on and off the road, they got it right. I have a 3B in my daily and I drive swiftly, but not like a maniac. I can keep up with cars as they accelerate and I can sure as hell beat them off road. I win.

It's a sub 100 hp motor driving a 3500 pound truck. If you want to be able to do 55-60 without sounding like you are inside the engine bay, I would leave it alone. Toyota aren't perfect but in terms of getting the ratios right for best all round performance on and off the road, they got it right. I have a 3B in my daily and I drive swiftly, but not like a maniac. I can keep up with cars as they accelerate and I can sure as hell beat them off road. I win.

Prior post about turbo was not a joke.

DieselKeith sells one. Its about $2.2K

My answer is what you needed to hear, if you search the diesel section you will find many subject about this.

I made that mistake myself, got bigger tire, then my poor 3B and 5th speed was useless, so i decide to go with 4.88.... mistake....It made the truck louder by reving the rpm higher, and it wasn't any stonger or faster. The turbo was the best mod i ever did.

When you put bigger tires you change aerodynamics, rolling resistance, wind drag etc. So basicly you need more HP. On a engine with so little power, gears are not the solution. We run those engine almost full HP capacity to keep up with highway speed, gears do not help.

If you had a 150hp engine with plenty of HP to spare at highway speed that would be a other story.

So i say again your solution are;

1- put back original size tires
2- drive it like it is and get use to it
3- Put a turbo (probably same price then changing gears), not sure how a turbo would work on a 2B
4- Sell the truck for something with alot more HP.

Sorry if i sound harsh but this subject as probably been beating to death, in the diesel section of the forum...:popcorn:

ok.
thats harsh.
and sarcastic I hope

Last edited:
Prior post about turbo was not a joke.

DieselKeith sells one. Its about $2.2K

I know there are kits out there, but personally I am not interested. The 42 I have was shipped from the factory with a 3B and everything works harmoniously without any one part being too strong. If you get another 30-40 HP out of a 3B you are running a bunch of parts at nearly 150% of their designed load. Will it break straight away, no of course not, these things are built like a brick crapper. Will you shorten the life of the parts? Yeah I think you will.

Also, having turboed small petrol engines I honestly think there is a lot more to installing a turbo than most people are aware. Can you build a manifold out of box section, yeah, there is a great build somewhere here on MUD doing just that. But where in the rev range does it spool, where do you get boost, is that rev band useful to you, how happy is the B going to be pulling more power at those revs, when does the increased back pressure start to overwhelm the benefits of forced induction.
Lots of people I have met have thought it was a case of mount the turbo any which way you can, put a pyro in the exhaust and don't drive like a maniac. If that is your view, then in my opinion, you don't know what you don't know.

If I ever go forced induction in my cruiser it will be via 13B-T, not by hacking around the 3B. I of course am lucky in that I live in NZ and we have 30 years of importing Toyota diesels in all manner of vehicles. I understand that stateside you are not in that position.

Well in truth your plan makes perfect since if in fact you will never add a turbo. You do not "Need" a turbo to run 33" tires. Gearing is gearing and X amount of torque will have the same result at the wheels as long as it is multipled by the same ratio. Your calcs come out pretty good here:

Gear Ratio Calculator

If ever you think you will add a turbo in the near future then no need to re-gear only to have to do it again later.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom