Regearing project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you PM me your address, I will mail you a present that might make you feel better about this.

Thanks Andy! Pristine will wear it with pride. :D

-Mike-
Broken_Birfield_Sticker.jpg

Ya Mike. Wear it with pride... :steer:

"So Mike, how did you break that birfield?"
"Well, I was driving around the block at home."
"What!? Was there some trail near by you were testing on?"
"No, I was driving around the block."
"Geez, Mike, how did that happen?"
"Well, during a knuckle PM I installed my birfields wrong and it popped on the test drive."

Ya, Mike. Wear it with pride. :princess:

Jon's got a good point there, Mike. Before you put the sticker on the truck, you better start coming up with a good story, or be ready to take a lot of ribbing.

Here's a good start - "It was a dark and stormy night on the Pritchett Canyon Trail..." :bounce:

Ya Mike. Wear it with pride... :steer:

"So Mike, how did you break that birfield?"
"Well, I was driving around the block at home."
"What!? Was there some trail near by you were testing on?"
"No, I was driving around the block."
"Geez, Mike, how did that happen?"
"Well, during a knuckle PM I installed my birfields wrong and it popped on the test drive."

Ya, Mike. Wear it with pride. :princess:

You do need to brush up your story, though.

Well, only you guys know the true story and my friends wouldn't tease me about something like breaking a birf on a test drive... would they?

.... and where is it written that every sticker on my truck has to have a story?

-Mike-

my friends wouldn't tease me about something like breaking a birf on a test drive... would they?

-Mike-

What do you think?...............:lol:

Got the speedometer correction in today (Yellow Box). I have been driving the truck since it was finished last week. No issues and the change is great! Also flushed the PS fluid and got the rear sway bar back on the rig. I didn't like the way it took high-speed turns without the rear sway bar.

-Mike-

Got the speedometer correction in today (Yellow Box). I have been driving the truck since it was finished last week. No issues and the change is great! Also flushed the PS fluid and got the rear sway bar back on the rig. I didn't like the way it took high-speed turns without the rear sway bar.

-Mike-

Nice Mike. So now you are ready to start breaking things again...

Who knows....you might get as bad as me here soon....

:D

-o-

Got the speedometer correction in today (Yellow Box). I have been driving the truck since it was finished last week. No issues and the change is great!
-Mike-

Mike -

Glad to hear that you're up and running again!

I'd be interested to hear more about your Yellow Box speedo correction. Where did you buy the unit, how much, how difficult to install, etc.

I'm still doing the 8% lower gear calculation in my head as I drive to compensate for the 4.88s and the 35 inch tires.

Evan

Why the yellow box? If you matched your gears to the tires why would you need correction?

I ordered the Yellow Box on-line. I will have to find the web site. It was $100 shipped. You have to specify the "3-wire" model in your order. (It actually has 4-wires so I don't know how they count in OZ.)

Install is not too difficult. I pulled the passenger seat to give me more room under the dash. Installation involves wire splicing into the VSS. I followed the write-up on 'Mud that Woody did a couple of years ago. Woody's photos were taken when he had the wiring backwards so be sure to adjust for that when you follow the instructions. I didn't know this and had to go back in and reverse 2 wires. :frown:

Calibration took about 30 minutes using a GPS to get actual speed and flipping switches on the Yellow Box to change the calibration. This corrects both the speedometer and the odometer as well as the transmission shift points (You *will* notice the difference!).

-Mike-

Why the yellow box? If you matched your gears to the tires why would you need correction?

My understanding is that 4.88 gears and 37 inch tires will get you back to stock gearing on an 80 series.

With my truck (and now Mike's) on 35 inch tires and 4.88 gears, I am actually geared about 8% lower than stock. This was figured by checking speed on a GPS as compared to the speedometer readout on the highway.

The lower-than-stock gearing is great for off-road. It obviously cuts off the top end for high speed runs on the highway, but that's not what my Cruiser is for.

It would be nice to have an accurate speedometer/odometer and correct shift points.

I am actually geared about 8% lower than stock.

What he said.

Juane is about the same with 33's and 4.56 gears. "Back-to-stock" would be 35's with 4.56 gears.

I wanted lower than stock which also gives the ability to go to 37's when these little tires wear out next year. :D

-Mike

And ironically 4:11s with 33s and a H55F also produce an almost dead-on in my 60.

What he said.

Juane is about the same with 33's and 4.56 gears. "Back-to-stock" would be 35's with 4.56 gears.

I wanted lower than stock which also gives the ability to go to 37's when these little tires wear out next year. :D

-Mike

Garage fit?

Garage fit?

Doubtful...

I know I'm within an inch or less on my seven foot door. Not much wiggle room.

But I'd love to see Mike's truck on 37's! He's probably just joking again... :hillbilly:

Just get some small tires like Dan has on his truck and it should fit fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom