Regearing project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the information Ryan.

I've discovered a new issue tonight. :frown:

Seems that one of my spare birfields (the one that I chose to install) must be from a '93 or '94 which is a teensy bit shorter than the later birfields. Now I need an early drive flange or I have to tear it down again and install the *other* spare birfield. I am not looking forward to tearing in there again though I am getting pretty fast. :D

Anyone have a drive flange from a '93-'94. Dan? Do you stock them?

-Mike-

I have two new (short) ones in stock.

I bet you can buy used ones from Slee.

Is the C-clip groove totally hidden under the drive flange?

I bet you can buy used ones from Slee.

Is the C-clip groove totally hidden under the drive flange?

Totally hidden and when pulling out the birf to put on the C-clip, it bottoms hard on something; probably the back of the spindle. That's what it feels like.

I'm going to pick up 1 from Dan this morning. Used would be OK but I don't want to wait. I want this thing finished so I can start breaking stuff again.
-Mike-

I'd like to play with the short one if you don't toss it! Should work well with the Aisin lock outs that I'd like to put back on the 80.

I am not looking forward to tearing in there again though I am getting pretty fast. :D

-Mike-

You'll be the man of the hour when someone needs a field repair on a dark, rainy, muddy off camber trail.

juane

I'd like to play with the short one if you don't toss it! Should work well with the Aisin lock outs that I'd like to put back on the 80.

I am not inclined to remove yet another birfield Ali. I am going to get a "short" flange and move on with the boring, non-mechanic side of my life. My pee smells like grease.

-Mike-

The truck is running again. Short test drive up and down the street with several 360-degree turns and no clicking, popping, or other unexpected noises. I plan to drive it daily for the next few weeks.

[:fingers-crossed:]

-Mike-

The truck is running again. Short test drive up and down the street with several 360-degree turns and no clicking, popping, or other unexpected noises. I plan to drive it daily for the next few weeks.

[:fingers-crossed:]

-Mike-

Good stuff Mike. Glad it worked out, even with the extra hassle. At least now you really are a birfield master!

-o-

I can take them apart and put them back together in my sleep now.
-Mike-

Bring it over Rory. The garage is already filthy and my tools are all greasy. Besides, if you wait more than a week or so, I'll forget everything. :D Getting old is hell.

-Mike-

What'cha gonna do with the Infinity? :princess:

Connie won't mind if it is Rory's truck. She likes him. She also likes Onur but I don't think she would let his truck anywhere on the property much less in the garage. :D

-Mike-

If it's in the garage the neighbors can't see it...:idea:

Onurs roof is too wrinkled to fit under the garage door.:steer:

Good job Mike. Glad that's over with!!!

As a side note, all of our vehicle tool boxes need to contain the tools that Mike used for the birf job. Something like a snap ring plier, brass hammer and the mondo 54mm socket are critical for a field birf job. I'm sure I'm missing other items but you get the point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom