Regearing and changing gear/pinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are they the same?

I asked my mechanic if he can do re-gearing, he said no, but he changes the gear/pinion in the diffs, leading to the same effect.

Is this the same as the 'regearing" term I read around here?

Thanks.

Yep, regearing typically means you are changing out the ring and pinion to change your drive ratio. I think your mechanic may have been thinking of regearing the transmission or transfer case which would be more complex. Well, the transfer case wouldn't be so complex but it isn't readily available other than Australia.

Thanks.

I assume of course this means you have to change the ring/pinion in front and rear together. Otherwise one set of wheels turns faster than the other?

What does it actually do? Change the gearing? sorry im a noob:D

When you go to larger tires, you're increasing the circumference of the tires and therefore the distance each one has to roll to turn. The truck will have less "oomph" off the line, higher RPMs up hills, etc. Just takes more energy to turn bigger tires.

So, changing the gears gets you back to the stock feeling, power to the wheels, etc. Until these Nitro gears came out, changing the gears on a 100 was a debacle on the rear. You had to source an 80 series carrier for clearance problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom