Reg. or Diesel oil ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Have read a few threads about which oils you all are running...but none really say if its reg. oil or "diesel oil?" In there now is "diesel oil" had a source thru work...but no longer available to me, so now I must find alt.

Diesel oil in my books - especially for high soot producing engines - like mine. I am sticking with Delo 400 even though the 5 gal bucket I bought today cost me $76.00. :crybaby: Will have to do some more searching for a JASO DH-1 certified oil which isn't sooooooooooo pricey but had to do an oil change today before heading into the interior.

Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is the best stuff in the world! Add a bypass filter and you can go 25,000 miles between changes easy!!!

Here's the info on the Amsoil page: http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/bf.aspx
There are various sizes and systems depending on the size of your sump and what you can fit in your engine bay.

My truck came stock with twin filters - one being a by-pass filter. However, I still change oil ever 5,000 kms (6,000 max). I guess I could get oil analysis done and see how many klicks it is good for - probably would save me some cash in the long run.:rolleyes:

For diesel you need to look at the oil rating tag on the bottle. It will say SAE and then it will have letters like CF or CG. The "C" indicates that the oil is suitable for compression ignition engines (diesels). If it only has an "S" rating (spark ignition or gas engines) it either has not been tested or it is not suited to compression ignition engines.
It becomes more important to look at the second letter if you are running a turbo. The farther down the alphabet the second letter goes the more suited to the later model engines. I think a turbo diesel engine needs a CE or better rating.
Most 15w-40 oils are diesel oils with a "C" rating.

Does Toyota Canada sell this? They are selling it for the same price as the Castrol GTX diesel oil I normally use
1HZ pics 072 (Medium).jpg

For 20.00 a year you can become a preffered member at Amsoil and get dealer-like prices. I order from there all the time. I get their heavy duty diesel oil, severe gear oil 75/110 and 75/90 (synthetic gear oil) cetane boost, fuel additive, cold flow improver in the winter and engine flush for oil changes.

Great stuff.

anything that has extra heat ie: turbo, a SYNTHETIC is the way whether it is AMSOIL ,ROYAL PURPLE or MOBIL 1 DELVAC with LUCAS offers great protection
aaron

anything that has extra heat ie: turbo, a SYNTHETIC is the way whether it is AMSOIL ,ROYAL PURPLE or MOBIL 1 DELVAC with LUCAS offers great protection
aaron

True, but synthetic is NOT widely available in some parts of the world. Here in Guatemala I can't even get Rotella forget about a synthetic like Mobil 1. I have to bring my own synthetic gear oil!

Have read a few threads about which oils you all are running...but none really say if its reg. oil or "diesel oil?" In there now is "diesel oil" had a source thru work...but no longer available to me, so now I must find alt.

Delo 400 15w-40 is great oil and perfect for your application. It has several advantages: 1) It is state of the art conventional oil, 2) It is available everywhere(Costco $50 for 6 gallons), 3)It is inexpensive, usually less than $10 per gallon, 4) While formulated for diesel engines it is a true "mixed fleet" oil and can be run in all your Cruisers(and your other cars too) all the time. I would not waste money on Amsoil in a mild climate like Southern California.

It's a Land Cruiser motor, it will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom