Refuel indicator arrow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drive a lot of different rental cars. One thing I have grown to appreciate is the little arrow on the instrument cluster next to the fuel gauge giving you a heads up on which side to park next to a fuel pump. I'm not sure when that became standard on vehicles but it had to be after 1996.

Anyway, I have been a member of the no "D" club for a while so while I was in the dash replacing the transmission drive indicator bulb I had my wife cut me some white vinyl to add the refueling arrow. I didn't take any pictures of the processes only the end results but the Raveni temp mod has good details of getting to the cluster.

It wasn't that hard but I could have saved myself 30 min if I would have done all three at the same time back when I did the temp gauge mod.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415631546.269717.jpg

Last edited:
No arrows but whatever side the handle of the fuel pump icon was on meant that was the side the fuel door was on. The Land Cruiser messed that up. Only vehicle Ive ever driven that the icon wasn't accurate and I can't figure out why.

Maybe dual purposed, indicates what pocket to keep fuel budget in?

Wouldn't a little icon of a bucket or a bank vault be more accurate?

On my cruiser, the fuel door release is on the far left, to the right is the hood release. This is how I remember it. Both my Toyotas are on the drivers side where my Nissan and my Mazda are both passenger side.

The Germans put fillers on Passenger side so you can add gas without standing in traffic (assuming you pull off on RH side).
I do know that if you buy an Avalon, Corolla, and a Land Cruiser they will all be on the drivers side.
Also if you have to get in drivers seat your a lot more likely to see the pump sticking out so you don't drive away with it (I may have done that one time in my 4Runner). It's a walk of shame to carry the pump hose across the parking lot.

On my cruiser, the fuel door release is on the far left, to the right is the hood release. This is how I remember it. Both my Toyotas are on the drivers side where my Nissan and my Mazda are both passenger side.

I hope you remember that wrong. If you're right, I just put my dash panel back together with the levers swapped.
Left is hood, right is fuel. Currently... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom