Refreshing 06 LX470 steering wheel for that new car feel (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I recently put a newly upholstered E46 M3 steering wheel (OEM style) on my BMW and it made the car feel like new!

I'm keen to do the same for the LX. Here's what the steering wheel currently looks like:

PXL_20201030_195848790.jpg

As you can see the leather is shiny and worn away especially on the left side where it meets the wood. Also the button controls and part of the center cover is shiny from use and doesn't seem to improve with cleaning.

I want to stick to the stock as new look/feel. Is it possible to replace these buttons and the cover with relatively cheap new parts? Anyone have any part numbers? I did just find this and ordered it: 2004-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser Lexus / LX470 Steering Wheel Gray Audio Switch OEM | Factory OEM Parts - https://www.factoryoemparts.com/2004-2007-toyota-land-cruiser-steering-wheel-black-audio-volume-control-switch-8424758020b0

As for the steering wheel leather - any recommendations and does anyone know the color name for the leather? I got a $299 quote from Craft Customs but of course it involves sending the wheel off... Any Bay Area upholsterers who could do a great job on this?

Cheers,
Francis

Dallas Custom Steering Wheel. Donald Le. Dude's a badass. He did my Supra wheel and my current LX wheel. Exceptional customer service and craftsmanship. Not cheap, but he's the best in the biz, far as I'm concerned.

1626910626305.png

Dallas Custom Steering Wheel. Donald Le. Dude's a badass. He did my Supra wheel and my current LX wheel. Exceptional customer service and craftsmanship. Not cheap, but he's the best in the biz, far as I'm concerned.
+1 for Dallas Custom Steering Wheel

Don did my CTS-V steering wheel back in 2011-12. Still looks flawless today. I bought a used wheel online and sent it directly to him, turn around time was quick from what i remember.

329494d1323367228-steering-wheel-darn-skinny-img_8008.jpg

Another vote for Dallas Custom Steering Wheel. I had mine done several years ago. Great work. I personally wouldn't bother with anything else. A known quantity. He has done wheels for several friends with other vehicles. All positive experiences.

View attachment 2737918
Did you send your steering wheel to him? Or this is a kit I can purchase from him?

View attachment 2737918

My wheels didn't have those wrinkles, just saying :) He emailed me on eBay blaming me for advertising real leather while I am using vinyl. Of course it was real leather.

My wheels didn't have those wrinkles, just saying :) He emailed me on eBay blaming me for advertising real leather while I am using vinyl. Of course it was real leather.
Are you back in the steering wheel business?

No. It was just temporary while leather lasted (and blank wheels).

I'm still bummed I missed that window. I was gonna do the dallas customs route next but the damn shipping of the donor wheel back and forth was going to add another $100 to the damage. Brutal.

I'm still bummed I missed that window. I was gonna do the dallas customs route next but the damn shipping of the donor wheel back and forth was going to add another $100 to the damage. Brutal.
Why so much? Shouldn't be more than 25 each way. He also sells those wheels on eBay, might be cheaper to buy one and then sell yours. I was buying blanks in $60-80 range. There is some dreamers asking for 150+ for worn wheels...

Why so much? Shouldn't be more than 25 each way. He also sells those wheels on eBay, might be cheaper to buy one and then sell yours. I was buying blanks in $60-80 range. There is some dreamers asking for 150+ for worn wheels...
Bro.... $600 + $30 shipping, ouch.

Yeah. TBH, if you try to make money from it - it's about right. I was selling leather on ebay for $250-300 and they were going fast. Consider 8hr of labor, how much do you make out of it? Wood was selling for 300-350 and it was going fast too. Early wheels without buttons were in more demand, I guess because they are only LC specific.

That's a little on the cheap side if that includes the donor wheel. Don't get fooled by all the cheap stuff on ebay. A new wheel from Toyota (or any other automotive company producing genuine leather wheels - even from discount dealers with very little markup - is thousands. Roughly $2,400 for the 100 series wheel without airbag.

$630 for a top notch refinished wheel from a small business run in the USA by a reliable and trustworthy guy is a pretty sweet deal, IMO.

That's a little on the cheap side if that includes the donor wheel. Don't get fooled by all the cheap stuff on ebay. A new wheel from Toyota (or any other automotive company producing genuine leather wheels - even from discount dealers with very little markup - is thousands. Roughly $2,400 for the 100 series wheel without airbag.

$630 for a top notch refinished wheel from a small business run in the USA by a reliable and trustworthy guy is a pretty sweet deal, IMO.
Yeah, I don't disagree, LC things are just expensive in general, not sure why I hoped a recovered steering wheel would be any different.

Love my keyfob btw! I got the bright orange one, which was easy to spot when my fishing guide accidently dropped it in a river and when my kid decided it was a good tool to dig in the dirt with while camping and left it there overnight.

I'm with @suprarx7nut . A good friend of mine here in Austin just got his steering wheel done by these guys, the final product is unbelievable!

I just went down this road, I figured let's get it done while the car was in for the brake / hub job. Steering Wheel Art in Scottsdale told me they could do it for $600, when I brought it in he didn't have the right color and a dyed hide was too costly to order. I couldn't risk shipping time to Dallas, so I gambled and pulled the trigger on a Chinese wheel off Ebay: Ebay Steering Wheel the seller is: hot-euromotor on this listing but I bought mine from id.concepts I paid $322 shipped. It arrived in 9 calendar days, which was a pleasant surprise.

Generally I'm pleased with the wheel, especially for the price. There was an issue with the factory plastic "shroud" not fitting onto the wheel parts, so I took the dremel and trimmed down the wheel bits so the shroud would fit. It was also difficult to align the torx screw holes, I had to use a long punch and muscle it a little to get the airbag piece in place so the bolts would start. Additionally, there's a little mis-alignment with the final product.

The color is an excellent match and the "wood" is a better match to the rest of the interior than the factory wheel was. The new wheel is also thicker, has molded hand rests and larger ribbing on the backside for grip. The plan was to send the factory wheel to Dallas if this one sucked, but I think I'll just keep this one. I would recommend this.

2024-03-24 16.19.20.jpg

2024-03-24 16.20.19.jpg

2024-03-24 16.25.47.jpg

2024-03-24 16.35.06.jpg

2024-03-24 16.35.41.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom