Refinishing LX '06-07 standard 18" wheels to OEM look? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I'm on a mission to bring my '06 LX back to looking like new and next up are the wheels. They're a bit faded and I think they've been sprayed in the past. I was wondering if anyone's refinished theirs and if so what did you use? I'm hoping to get back to the stock finish which I think is a hypersilver? Dupli-color do a Hyper Silver wheel paint but the reviews seem a bit mixed.

Any recommendations?

Cheers!

PXL_20201128_205735229.MP.jpg

I had wheels refinished by a local place called Wheel Doctor. Dismounted, cleaned, stripped, powder coat, remounted and balanced for about $100-150 per wheel and you basically have new factory wheels. Guessing there's something similar in most cities.

Following. I've done some research on the hyper silver and found it is a 3 stage process. Black base with silver next before the clear. I have refinished several sets of wheels in the past with good success but I'm not as confident with this process. The outcome is reliant on getting the same amount of silver on each wheel during stage 2. But also intrigued that I might be able to create something kind of custom. Still trying to decide which way to go.

Find a good powdercoater nearby and go through their color swatch to find the closest thing to the color you want and call it a day.

Find a good powdercoater nearby and go through their color swatch to find the closest thing to the color you want and call it a day.
Yeah, that is the best route, but I'm still curious about painting options myself. Powder coating isn't cheap and my truck expenses are still going to deferred maintenance items.

Also consider scouring the local classified apps for a set that someone took off their lx. I’ve seen a set or two of them up near me for an extended period of time.

I contacted some local powder coating places and it's about $100 per wheel but I would need to have the tires and valve stems/TPMS removed which is going to be a pain. Any tips on powdercoating? Would they be sandblasted down to the metal first?

I used a powder coating facility that was recommended by my tire shop. Very please with the results but the cost was $150/wheel (I did all 5 wheels) so not a cheap option.

Close up.jpg

@KMac100 very nice, exactly what I want to do with mine! For $150 did you leave your LX with them or did you have to remove them from the car and the tires? Curious what their process was - did they strip them down to the metal first? What color/finish did you get? Looks like it's a perfect match for the center caps.

@KMac100 very nice, exactly what I want to do with mine! For $150 did you leave your LX with them or did you have to remove them from the car and the tires? Curious what their process was - did they strip them down to the metal first? What color/finish did you get? Looks like it's a perfect match for the center caps.
Dropped the truck off at the tire shop in the morning. Wheels were removed & sent to Powder Coat shop. Wheels sent back to tire shop the following morning where new tires where installed. Picked up truck 36 hours after I dropped it off with everything handled by the guys at Tirelink.

They were sandblasted to bare metal. The center caps were not original (chrome) so they painted those as well.

I had a set of 18" LC wheels refinished for my 06' LX last year and it was $125 per wheel.

I contacted some local powder coating places and it's about $100 per wheel but I would need to have the tires and valve stems/TPMS removed which is going to be a pain. Any tips on powdercoating? Would they be sandblasted down to the metal first?
I live in the Bay Area. Can you please share the name of the local powder coating shop you referenced above.

Did you end up using them? How'd it turn out?

I had a set of 18" LC wheels refinished for my 06' LX last year and it was $125 per wheel.

64840520421__3BD4836B-FDD6-460C-8C4A-0F0A311E067E.jpeg

Similar pricing here in LV, $400 to repair and refinish 4pcs 18” wheels (dismounting existing tires included) with powder coat and add another $100 to mount and balance all 4 tires. OTD price is $500

Old post but a powder coating shop that specializes in wheels would leave the lug nut area bare aluminum. They usually install "dummy bolts" when they spray. If you powdercoat the mating surface, you won't get an accurate torque spec. The coating underneath can flake and lug nuts come loose.

The same goes for the wheel-to-hub mating surface.

Last edited:
I live in the Bay Area. Can you please share the name of the local powder coating shop you referenced above.

Did you end up using them? How'd it turn out?
I still haven't gotten round to doing mine but might do soon. If there were a few being done at the same time in the same finish we might be able to get a deal. Where in the Bay area are you?

I would seek out a professional wheel refinishing shop. I had some wheels redone in the past and getting actual paint is better than powdercoat, IMO. If prepper perfectly I think powdercoat can be more durable, but it always looks cheap (monotone finish) compared to metallic paint with clear. If it's not prepped really well, it'll flake and look terrible.

The 06-07 wheels are really nice with the metallic sheen so I'd see if you can find a professional shop near you. In your area of the country I'm sure there are dozens of very good shops. Pricing shouldn't be too much different either way, but I think the results of paint are superior. 5-10 years ago I paid $150/wheel. I'd expect paint to be around $200/wheel now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom