1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refilling Transfer Case

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by 92Cruiser, Mar 2, 2004.

1. 92Cruiser

92Cruiser

Anybody know an easier way to refill the transfer case? I can only get about half of the gear oil out of the botlle and have to grab another bottle because of clearance. Somebody has to know of a quick way of doing this.

Thank you,

Brian

2. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

look on page 2 for a post by dvader on this subject.
    Dave

3. DoggieStyle

DoggieStyle

Sears makes a hand pump that I've used for years to do diffs and xfer case. Threads right onto the bottle and has 2 lengths of tubing. Works wonders.

4. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

Autozone also sells a manual syphoning pump (less than $10) that allows you to suck almost 3/4 of a qt. of fresh oil up into it, and then inject it into the trans case, diff, etc., using the hose provided ....... worked great for me.

Wayne S :cheers:

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

When I recently did my transfer and refilled with M1 I used a chunk of fuel line stuck on the nipple of the bottle. That allows you to put the bottle up high. Then I stabbed the bottle near the end to let air in.
    If not using Mobil one I use a 5 gallon bucket with a pump.

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

If you are without other resources, you can pull the top off one bottle and keep filling it with the half empties, also.

DougM

7. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    I use one of those 5 gal pails of gear oil and a mondo hand pump. The pump is attached to the lid and pumps crap load of oil. When you have four all wheel drive vehicles, you go through gear oil quickly! I picked everything up at Pep Boys auto. The best part about this method is that there's very little mess.

8. Safado

Safado

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=12423;start=msg114207#msg114207 date=1078290484]
    If you are without other resources, you can pull the top off one bottle and keep filling it with the half empties, also.

DougM
    [/quote]

That's exactly what I did last night.

9. DRTDuck

DRTDuck

A funnel with flexible tube, 3 or 4 bucks at the local auto parts store.

10. cornerman

cornerman

I can't find that "dvader" link. I saw it a few weeks ago, but now I can't find it. Anyone?

11. RavenTai

RavenTai

[quote author=cornerman link=board=2;threadid=12423;start=msg125327#msg125327 date=1079998149]
    I can't find that "dvader" link. I saw it a few weeks ago, but now I can't find it. Anyone?

[/quote]

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=11288;start=0

there are a lot of good ways to fill described in that thread, I used a small drill operated pump and a few fittings all from the heardware store

12. Augie

Augie

Plastic bag or big ziploc also could be used. Fill it with oil, tie the end and then cut a small hole at one corner.

13. otis22

otis22

Raventai's solution is very slick. I tried the other methods suggested and most were a pain. Just make sure you get the clear hose with the fillaments in it to stop it from collapsing.

14. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

just saw a terrific gizmo. Looks like a huge syringe. Made by Pews (?) I think, the company that does all the grease guns. For oil and grease. Will squirt something like a pint at a time, even upwards. Can also be used to suck out stuff or squirt cleaner on etc. Sure looked like a good way to go to me...
    E