RedRoci turbo build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to share my experience installing my turbo, I am by no means an expert or that gifted of mechanic, but i have learned tons from this and gathered a whole lot more information from this site.
I purchased the CXracing t4 70 turbo kit ( I know booo!) the kit included an intercooler and skid plate, I liked the idea but after I started routing the pipes I got to thinking I am going to tear these things off when I go adventuring, I beat the crap out of my rig pretty regularly, it is a toy/hobby not my daily. So as you can see I went full chop shop and started gutting things like the cruise control and washer fluid res to make room for the intercooler, ended up fitting pretty well..ended up buying a new Greedy BOV and used PT turbo blankets on the turbo and down pipe all the way to where the cats used to be. Installed a wide band sensor so we could read air to fuel ratios, and currently working on getting the tune hooked up and programmed, I bought the mega squirt 3 and my friend whom co-owns a hot rod shop (midwestmegasquirt) is doing my tune. Waiting on my tune to get finished, but before that it ran really hard, pulled great at 3.5-4K, absolutely guzzled gas, I did have a bout of excessive heat temps under the hood, it would take the engine bay hours to cool off, I changed my external waste gate spring from a 10# to a 5# and now it cools down like it did stock.
other work performed:
had the head reworked
arp head studds
cometic mls gastket
replaced all hoses and filters
new radiator
blue clutch fan
new water pump
no clue money wise what i have in this thing but i know for sure it was more than my 3k budget. OOPS

IMG_20200710_103455955.jpg

IMG_20200824_132646635.jpg

IMG_20200716_125012859_HDR.jpg

Nice work!!!

You reinforce or brace the turbo manifold? How's it holding up? Do you have to piggyback the megasquirt to have the stock ecu for the transmission? I don't know s*** about the stock trans :lol:

I've been contemplating a turbo with an air to water intercooler.

Nice work!!!

You reinforce or brace the turbo manifold? How's it holding up? Do you have to piggyback the megasquirt to have the stock ecu for the transmission? I don't know s*** about the stock trans :lol:

Nice work!!!

The turbo is supported by the exhaust, I ended up wrapping the exhaust in pt turbo wrap, which doesn't necessarily add strength but I figured I would wick away the heat better and keep in better shape for longer, the intercooler I made a bracket out of 1/2" threaded pipe sort of like a stand, the ran a piece of slotted angle on top that so it would support the weight, it also allows it to spin to meet the weird placement of the piping. Then I added two more posts and a strap...it's solid and it will be able to get air from the vents j cut in and the fan from the motor below..so far so good. Not messing with the trans for now, there is a ton of options right now with the mega squirt, just trying to get the fuel ratios right for now..lots of add ons later when the budget allows. Thanks!

Subscribed. Been daydreaming about doing an el cheapo "s*** Send" turbo set up.

Very curious to follow the megasquirt progress.
We have been pecking away at it slowly, last night I was able to identity the fuel injectors, wired them in to the ms3x harness, I'm a little stumped on the throttle position sensor, and some of the other wires that I need to research a bit more.
The megasquirt 3x has lots of options you can add later if that's your thing. For now I'm just trying to get my air/fuel ratio optimal

We have been pecking away at it slowly, last night I was able to identity the fuel injectors, wired them in to the ms3x harness, I'm a little stumped on the throttle position sensor, and some of the other wires that I need to research a bit more.
The megasquirt 3x has lots of options you can add later if that's your thing. For now I'm just trying to get my air/fuel ratio optimal

In case you need it:

So that's a series of forward-pointing louvers to let air in, and then a series of rearward-pointing louvers to let it out? Novel concept. :) I put my intercooler in a similar location but went with a shaker hood scoop which worked great for airflow, but looked totally stupid. Your setup definitely looks cleaner. Would probably work best if you can figure out a way to seal the IC to the hood/louvers to make sure air goes through the IC rather than around it. Looking forward to details on how the megasquirt works out. 👍

So that's a series of forward-pointing louvers to let air in, and then a series of rearward-pointing louvers to let it out? Novel concept. :) I put my intercooler in a similar location but went with a shaker hood scoop which worked great for airflow, but looked totally stupid. Your setup definitely looks cleaner. Looking forward to details on how the megasquirt works out. 👍
I bought two little scoops that were made for the older Nissan 240 z's didn't quite look right as I wanted something to help move more air just not force it in so to speak lol..they seem to be working well..I'll update when I get back to the tune, I'm itching to get out on some dirt roads, not a fan of the down time lol
Thanks!

Ever thought about removing the hood insulation? All it does is trap more heat in the engine bay. I pulled mine years ago to help cool my SC setup.

Ever thought about removing the hood insulation? All it does is trap more heat in the engine bay. I pulled mine years ago to help cool my SC setup.
Yeah I didn't know if it would be a blessing or a curse when I installed it. Did it seem to cool the engine bay down more?

So that's a series of forward-pointing louvers to let air in, and then a series of rearward-pointing louvers to let it out? Novel concept. :) I put my intercooler in a similar location but went with a shaker hood scoop which worked great for airflow, but looked totally stupid. Your setup definitely looks cleaner. Would probably work best if you can figure out a way to seal the IC to the hood/louvers to make sure air goes through the IC rather than around it. Looking forward to details on how the megasquirt works out. 👍
Heckraiser, your turboclunker thread is one of my favorite builds on mud. It's given me all kinds of bad ideas.

No way the shaker hood was awesome!!

Update: we were able to get in some preliminary tuning; all 6 injectors, throttle positioning sensor, wideband 02 sensor, and ignition wired up to the measquirt3x,
we (90% my tuner bro) were able to get it running and dialed in to keep a healthy AFR.
we still have some hurdles to overcome
1. the cruiser starts real rough, my tuner suspects its the IAC valve, they valve that adjust air for the idle depending on temp.
*suggestions?
2. still don't have control over the timing, we are not sure what controls it from the factory ecu, according to my guy he says once we can control timing we can adjust for fuel and timing as they rise and fall. getting some pinging/detonation around 3k rpm when i lean into the gas, if i bring it up slowly not so much. I am using 93 octane
*suggestions?
3. We need to hook up the engine temp sensor , we have identified that one, just need to do it.

I did take some timing out of the cruiser this morning, i'd say its and 1/4" past zero, not sure what that equates too but I am guessing -4*ish? this didn't help with the pinging much, should I go more?

Finally got control of timing, installed coil packs. I've got it torn back down now, gonna install a new turbo boost controller, meth injection kit, and new blow off valves. Just waiting for it to get warm here in Iowa, my garage is not heated. Yet another project I need to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom