Redline straight from startup. How much wear did I cause? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a new 4Runner with about 3000 miles on the engine. I was planning to change the oil at 5k miles and was reading up about pre-filling the oil filter. I had read that some cars have a clear flood mode where you can hold down the accelerator and start the engine and it will cut off the fuel and just crank the engine via the starter to build oil pressure. Like a fool, I decided to try this rather than verifying this was a feature. Turns out, 4Runners don’t have this feature and I essentially redlined my engine straight from startup. I’m concerned because I doubt the engine could have built oil pressure fast enough to provide enough lubrication. I had driven my 4Runner 3 miles prior (about 10 minutes operating time) and parked it while I ran into a store. It sat for about 20 minutes and then I tried starting it with my foot on the gas and that’s when it started and went straight to redline. I’m hoping the short trip I took was enough to get the engine coated with oil so even if it had zero oil pressure during redline, enough residual oil was on the internals to prevent wear. What do you all think?

Well, one thing in your favor is that you don't live in the northern states and hit red line from a cold start with the ambient air temperature at about -10° (or something like that)!
That may have broke something.

Prefilliing the filter is done during replacement only.
Luckily you had been driving the vehicle and the engine was full of oil.
Likelyhood of damage is slim.

Prefilliing the filter is done during replacement only.
Luckily you had been driving the vehicle and the engine was full of oil.
Likelyhood of damage is slim.
Thanks for the reply. Definitely learned that lesson the hard way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom