Redline Goods steering wheel replacement leather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I completed the install of a Redline Goods (RedlineGoods shift boots) steering wheel cover this weekend and wanted to share with the class. If you're not familiar, this is a sew-on replacement for your OE steering wheel leather.

Like most of you 80 series owners, my wheel had seen better days. In fact, my wheel was worn out for so long that the cheap leather slip-on cover the PO installed was also worn out.

Here is what it looks like now:

IMG_20171210_105624.jpg

Redline doesn't have the 80 series wheel leather on their website yet, so I shot them an e-mail and inquired about being their guinea pig. Turns out they had patterned a cover before but had no record of it being installed so I ordered one up. (Full disclosure: they offered a rebate if I provided before & after photos and shared online)

Here a few lessons learned from the install:

1. You'll need to buy some sewing needles and leather glue. Redline provides plenty of thread. I tried both curved and and straight needles. They each have their strong points (haha) but I think I would just use straight needles if I did it again. YMMV

2. Take the time to set up a solid work station. Don't try sewing this thing in your lap. You are in for 6-8 hours of sewing unless you're already an experienced sewer. Get a clean workspace with a solid mount where you can maneuver the wheel into position.

3. Order color samples from Redline prior to purchasing the wrap. I asked to match the factory leather with black thread for contrast stitching. What I received is a great match for the seats, not for the original wheel. My guess is that they would have exchanged it for me, but I decided to rock the two tone.

4. Take your time on the fit and finish. Make sure you sew all the way to the ends of the spokes and massage wrinkles out. Mine isn't perfect. As with most DIY projects, I feel like I could do a better job on the second one haha.

5. If your Cruiser is your DD like mine, source a second steering wheel so you can take your time. I did the bulk of the work over the course of a Saturday and then finished up through the week. Having a second wheel allowed me to relax and enjoy family time during breaks.

6. Watch the ChrisFix steering wheel video on YouTube. His stitching pattern is super simple and way more efficient than some others I've seen. ()

Onto the photos!

OEM wheel for reference:

IMG_20170929_101042.jpg

Notice how far the leather goes up the spokes. I stopped some of mine a little short and the plastic trim doesn't quite cover it.

IMG_20171201_172315.jpg

Now, cut your old seams, remove old leather, and use a damp cloth to wipe the base wheel nice and clean

IMG_20171201_174408.jpg

Stretch the new cover onto the wheel and mount your wheel on your new stand that you made from your lumber scrap

IMG_20171202_160501.jpg

Last edited:
Sew until your hands are numb as described in ChrisFix's video. Make sure you constantly pull the threads tight

IMG_20171207_213316.jpg

BOOM, looking good

IMG_20171207_213309.jpg

IMG_20171210_101814.jpg

Word of caution, I used an LX450 wheel and noticed that the trim pieces are slightly different. I ended up putting the LC trim onto the LX wheel to make sure the trim panels clipped in correctly

IMG_20171210_102406.jpg

And you're done!

IMG_20171210_105624.jpg

All told I have a lot of time into this but it is pretty rewarding. What the pictures don't show is that it feels GREAT! I'm sleeping much better as a result.

Not a fan of the two tone, and hopefully Redline will match it better for new customers. Thanks for sharing.

If you have access to a steam machine, like the type used by a dress maker, or an upholster, that will help you remove those few wrinkles from your leather wheel. Oh i forgot to ask, what's the cost of the kit???

Last edited:
Outstanding post. You're on my short list of expert advisors.

If you have access to a steam machine, like the type used by a dress maker, or an upholster, that will help you remove those few wrinkles from your leather wheel. Oh i forgot to ask, what's the cost of the kit???

That's a great idea, I was thinking a heat gun would help but I hadn't considered a steamer.

Base cost of the leather wrap is $130, but it seems like they run discounts and promotions on a pretty regular basis.

I just got another version of this off another link someone left. so it will be my 3rd shot Ill try to make a video but it wont be easy Im doing everything i can to avoid LH 500 dollar fix buts its the direction I want to go in.

Thinking of giving their steering wheel wraps a try. Has anyone ordered one from them for a gray interior? They have "light gray" and "medium gray". Which one is a better match?

Thinking of giving their steering wheel wraps a try. Has anyone ordered one from them for a gray interior? They have "light gray" and "medium gray". Which one is a better match?
Recently folks (including myself) have been using this one from Amazon:

JI Loncky Dark Grey Leather Steering Wheel Cover for 2005-2011 Toyota Tacoma /2003-2009 4Runner /2004-2010 Sienna /2003-2007 Sequoia /2004-2007 Highlander /2005 2006 Camry /1995 1997-2007 Land Cruiser Amazon product ASIN B08GJ598Q7
My interior isnt grey and I did a two tone.

20210717_103656_HDR.jpg

Took me a bit to find the Amazon one referenced in the above post. Here's the link, in case anyone else is looking for it.

Edit: Turns out it was in the post above, but since this forum has some kind of fancy link changer/preview tingum for Amazon, Brave browser blocked it - might be an issue for others with ad blockers, so trying again:
www.amazon.com/2005-2011-2003-2009-2004-2010-2003-2007-Highlander/dp/B08GJ598Q7/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom