Redline Gear Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Based on Carys recommendation and the Bobistheoilguy website, I put Redline 75-90Wt (not the ns stuff) into the tcase (center diff). I bought it in gallon jugs and use a pump to put it in. A lot easier than the squirt bottles (with a lift) and according to the oil website, much better than any other synthetic for the application.

It was $35 a gallon, less than Mobil 1

I bought enough to use in Rachels 4runner when we get it back late tomorrow or Monday.

I have heard good things about red line gear oil, where are you getting it for less than M1? I have found it to be more expensive through mail order.

I love the stuff. We use 90w-140 in differentials and the 75w-90 in TC and trannys. I have not found it in gallons but can get quarts locally for $7.25 ea.

go to the redline site and look for dealers in your area. Make sure the list Gear oils under products.

David - I was going to use the 75-90W in my daughters 4 runner diffs. Is that a bad idea, you use a heaver weight?

The 75w-90 will be perfect. I think the 90w-140 helpes quiet down cheepo lockers and really keeps the temp down and helps with noise/vibration.

Doubt it would add much to a 4 runner diff, I would use the lighter wt. especially with the temps you guys have.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try the heaver weight in the 40 with the Aussie in the rear when it needs changing.

You still coming out this way in a few weeks?

Ken, None of the dealers in my area carry the gear oils so where's the best place to mail order this? How much will I need for the transfer case? Redline's site say's about the 75-90 ..."It contains friction modifier which is recommended for limited-slip units." , then I looked at the 75-90NS and it said it didn't have friction modifiers in it. Does our 80 series transfer case need a friction modifier or not??

Thanks,

no friction modifier should be needed, friction modifiers are for clutches found in Positraction rear ends, our lockers are positive locking steel toothed with no clutches, there are also no clutches in the transfer case.

but it seams they recomend friction modifiers in normal rear ends for some reason

Last edited:
RavenTai said:
but it seams they recomend friction modifiers in normal rear ends for some reason

R - I really think this belongs in chat, don'cha think? Right under the vasectomy thread, eh? Heh. Sick bastij

DougM

Doug, at first I was quite :confused: by your post.

So does the wife have junk in her trunk? You really should take the stuff out the extra weight makes the motor work harder and reduces gas mileage.

Please disregard my post #6 above seams RedLine wants you to use their stuff with the FM in our app witch is counter to common wisdom. hopefully somebody knows more.

BTW according to Redlines web site no one within 50 miles of me sells thier gear oil.

Bryan E said:
Ken, None of the dealers in my area carry the gear oils so where's the best place to mail order this? How much will I need for the transfer case? Redline's site say's about the 75-90 ..."It contains friction modifier which is recommended for limited-slip units." , then I looked at the 75-90NS and it said it didn't have friction modifiers in it. Does our 80 series transfer case need a friction modifier or not??

Thanks,

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_cat_id=387&action=category Don't know anything about them or if its the best price. I almost ordered from them before I found it locally.

Our rigs don't need the zinc modifier. Reading posts from Cary here and others on bobistheoilguy.com these modifiers won't hurt anything in our rigs and non friction function could help a little. I also talked to the guy at the shop and he agreed. He said if I had power traction or limited slip, then the Friction stuff is required.

Romer said:
I put Redline 75-90Wt (not the ns stuff) into the tcase (center diff).

Romer said:
Our rigs don't need the zinc modifier. Reading posts from Cary here and others on bobistheoilguy.com these modifiers won't hurt anything in our rigs and non friction function could help a little. I also talked to the guy at the shop and he agreed. He said if I had power traction or limited slip, then the Friction stuff is required.

That is the confusing part, our rigs should not need the modifier but the stuff without the modifier is the NS stuff that you did not use, so you have the modifier

seams Redline is recomending the stuff with the modifier in most differentials with clutches or not so you got the stuff they recomend

as for why I dont know :confused:

75W90 the stuff you used
Our most popular gear oil, this is the preferred product in nearly all car and light truck differentials, both conventional and limited-slip. 75W90 is preferred for most racing applications. It contains friction modifier which is recommended for limited-slip units. 75W90 Gear Oil can be used in many transmissions and transaxles; however, other Red Line lubricants have better frictional properties for rapid synchronization. Exceeds API GL-5.

75W90 NS the stuff without the modifier.

This GL-5-type geal oil doesn't contain the friction modifiers for limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission synchronizers come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster shifting and much easier low-temperature shifting. Can also be used in racing limited-slip differentials where weak spring design causes too much wheel spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom