Redarc Vs Epever MPPT for dual battery setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a diesel so two flooded LABs and an AGM deep cycle for house. I just bought my Epever MPPT for solar charging and just realized I might be able to use it to charge my AGM from the alternator. It seems like the same process but since that isn't what I bought it for and it isn't exactly advertized that way, I wanted to see if anyone knows if I could just run my alternator straight to the Epever and charge my AGM that way, or if I should still use a Redarc or some DC/DC to do what it is made for. I don't want to be redundant if this makes sense.

Last edited:
Stick with the RedArc to do the charging, at least. It also has an MPPT charger built-in, so not sure why you picked up the EPEver...except to be redundant. Which isn't a bad thing.

I got it solely for charging with a solar panel.

Copy that. Separation of duties is ok.
But I wouldn't connect a solar controller to an alternator unless it specifically says you can.

Yeah probably right. It just would have been convenient. I assumed that as long as it was rated for the maximum voltage that my alternator would be putting out, then I didn’t really see the difference where the voltage was coming from.

Well it would be the current from the alternator that the controller can't handle. By comparison, solar panels put out much less current than that of an alternator.
And compared to a standalone DC-DC charger, I'm pretty sure a standalone controller does not do any voltage boosting (stepping) like a DC-DC does.

That said tho, the Redarc might stand alone (lol) in that regard having both integrated into one package. I haven't added a panel yet, so my RedArc draws just from the auxiliary engine room batt for now.

Just a follow up for the future, you were correct about the amperage. The Epever I have is rated at a maximum input of 30 amps. Although technically it is rated for an input of 1.5 X the maximum input so I could run at a maximum of 45 amps. Which is getting close but ultimately not for use with an alternator. Now I have to get even more electronics. Definitely turning into exactly the opposite of the KISS battery method.

I have a Redarc DC-DC and separate solar regulator. The DC charges has been problem free for 5 yrs+. The solar controller (cheap to get) is blown again (2nd time) but will just go get it replaced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom