RedArc Trailer Brake Controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eric Sarjeant

Ed Martin Toyota (Indianapolis)
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.edmartintoyota.com
Quick video showing placement options for RedArc trailer brake on 200-series Land Cruiser

Right side in wood

53D459C9-9E8A-4E6A-8734-73C50C1C6122.jpeg

Right side in blank

C0127FB8-1BA5-45A1-BB0F-5C92E16DFFB3.jpeg

Last edited:
Left side in blank

BA345C4F-FB80-488A-ACF7-BF1C95517643.jpeg

@Eric Sarjeant, can you share how to get that panel off, to get it all set up?
It'd sure be nice of Eric to do that for you, but if you look here on 'mud, there are some great posts with step by step how to instructions.

I installed my own Redarc trailer brake controller (in the right side switch blank panel), and it took longer to read about taking the dash apart than it did to actually do it.

I had it apart again two weekends ago (to put in a smart relay) and it literally took 5 minutes to remove the trim and access that area.

Installing the Redarc brake controller is as simple as splicing the controller into your factory trailer brake harness (comes with the vehicle), placing the controller (I used 3M industrial strength velcro), plugging in the cables, and snapping the switch into place. So simple a caveman could do it. :)

@CharlieS, How do you know I didn't try searching? l did and wasn't able to find it. It just happened Eric posted about the same thing I was looking for so I did a thing call "ask". I didn't start a new post about this, for that reason, I'm more then positive that, 99% of the NEW posts have all been discussed and more then once. But thank you for sharing your thoughts!

@Eric Sarjeant those looks really nice. Do you know if the light can be removed or adjusted in those?
Also do you all install ejection seats?
Yes, the light can be removed. No on the ejection seats 🤔

@Eric Sarjeant I've seen a few locations posted for the Tow-Pro's main unit using using various attachment methods. Where have you been mounting the Redarc's main unit and with what? Thanks!

Here's one location:

REF:

Another - uses heavy duty velcro mounted just to the right of the one above:
Trailer Brake Controller Connector

And another - the orientation appears to be vertical:
Redarc trailer brake mounting?

@Eric Sarjeant I've seen a few locations posted for the Tow-Pro's main unit using using various attachment methods. Where have you been mounting the Redarc's main unit and with what? Thanks!
So we normally mount them right behind the switch panel on the left side with zip ties. We don’t like to use Velcro or double side tape Because in the heat it will fall off.

So we normally mount them right behind the switch panel on the left side with zip ties. We don’t like to use Velcro or double side tape Because in the heat it will fall off.
Many thanks!

Another great location depending if you’re out of blanks.

BFD20B30-A56A-4A74-BAE8-509EE9E84523.jpeg

So I just started this process. But I can't figure out how to loosen that panel below the steering wheel so that I can pull out the switch panel. Once I can get that stuff out of the way, the rest I understand. Anyone know how to get that panel out (as he did in the video above) so that I can get access to all that stuff?

I already have a Tekonsha P3 and based on the instructions for both that and the REDARC the wire colors/purposes match. So all I need to do is connect based on colors. I plan on using wire nuts, not soldering as I don't have a solder gun.

Any other tips?

Seriously? See post 10 where I added a link.

if you were local, I could have it off for you before you cracked the top on a cold beer for me.

Wire nuts are not automotive grade. If you can't solder, at least use crimped butt connectors.

All, probably a stupid question, but when is the supplied gray washer/spacer used on our 200s using available blanks and adapter? I assume it is for spacing to achieve desired clearance and allow the button to be pushed etc. but half of you guys use it, half do not. What’s the consensus? (My hyper accurate* search of posted photos led me to this bold claim!)

fwiw I installed it initially but felt the button press wasn’t as ‘crisp’ and felt it was creating interference, so photo shown is as installed currently. Am I crazy for this method?!?

127B88DB-B7AE-41A8-8719-2F4891C275D8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom