Redarc Brake Control in Factory Switch Location 98 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to install a 7-pin trailer plug and brake controller. Have a 1998 currently with 4-flat connector. I went through the whole brake controller thread linked in the FAQ but I get the impression that the 98/99s don't have a simple spot to plug in the brake controller and 7-pin plug so you pretty much have to wire them up with a universal kit. IE install a 7-pin plug and manually wire the 3 new circuits including a brake controller under the dash and taping a few wires, 2 new wires ran from battery/dash all the way to trailer plugs. Please confirm.

Second I like the clean look of the little Redarc knob. Would this go right in one of the blanks on the left side next to the locker switch? Switch insert panel to suit Toyota Tacoma/Tundra/Cruiser - https://redarcelectronics.com/products/switch-insert-panel-to-suit-toyota-tundra-tacoma?currency=USD&variant=29384210546801&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4v2EBhCtARIsACan3nwOizHuxfobMOIDtVC9anv4byexYTX5bp2mAPq7S4HnoGfnzUiNUMYaAkLWEALw_wcB

Confirmed. You'll have to wire those 3 new circuits yourself.

On a side note, I have the Tekonsha P3, Inertia style brake controller (like most). I don't love the inertia style. It's like having a small bowling ball in the trunk. I'd prefer the hydraulic over electric system. Some newer vehicles (i.e. '16+ 200 and Tundra) have this type of system built in where it senses hydraulic pressure to activate the trailer brakes.

A retrofit for older vehicles. I have no personal experience with it though....

Confirmed. You'll have to wire those 3 new circuits yourself.

On a side note, I have the Tekonsha P3, Inertia style brake controller (like most). I don't love the inertia style. It's like having a small bowling ball in the trunk. I'd prefer the hydraulic over electric system. Some newer vehicles (i.e. '16+ 200 and Tundra) have this type of system built in where it senses hydraulic pressure to activate the trailer brakes.

A retrofit for older vehicles. I have no personal experience with it though....

Thanks for the confirmation. It will be a fairly small trailer so electric brakes don’t seem totally necessary, I kinda figured by the time I run a new hot wire to the back for trailer battery charging might as well run the electric brake line too.

@awkragt I am about to install a redarc controller set-up in a '99 with the 4-pin. Do you have any pictures of your install?

I have a 99 and had to wire mine in. I made a video of where I mounted the control unit for the tow pro elite, but have since relocated the adjustment knob next to the diff lock switch because I put a RAM mount in place of the old location.

I used the tow pro elite cover TPSI-007:

IMG_3614.jpg

Last edited:
@robgv Thanks for the video! That seems like a good location for the control unit, I also was thinking of putting the knob by the diff lock. You don't by any chance have a picture of the where you spliced into the brake switch wire. If not, I plan on locating it with a circuit tester. Have you had any issues with feedback from the trailer?

@robgv Thanks for the video! That seems like a good location for the control unit, I also was thinking of putting the knob by the diff lock. You don't by any chance have a picture of the where you spliced into the brake switch wire. If not, I plan on locating it with a circuit tester. Have you had any issues with feedback from the trailer?
I don't. IIRC it was somewhere on the driver side kick panel. Haven't had any feedback issues. Towed a steel trailer with electric brakes and a track car only a handful of times, but it was comforting towing something with electric brakes versus surge brakes (uhaul trailer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom