Red Rock Canyon-Feb21-23 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Dates set at the Trail Crew meeting last night.

Current scuttle is that some folks will head up Friday during the day, the rest in the evening. Possibly even a Saturday 'day run' with Bill.

I am heading up to Jawbone Wednesday for a FOJ meeting, so most likely, I will just head on up to Ridgecrest after the meeting, and come back down to Red Rock either Thursday or Friday.:) Haven't decided which rig to take yet.:hmm:

There will be updates on the Facebook page. :doh:

Once again, I am offering FREE firewood for those willing to carry it to camp. Contact me directly.:cheers:

I forgot to mention [for those who are interested] I am planning to organize a hike on Saturday morning up Black Mountain in the wilderness area. Hike is approximately 6 miles round trip and planning to take at least 3 hours to do. Some scrambling over volcanic rock will be required, so be prepared.

Mark,
Is there a way to generate GPS coordinates for us? It would make it easy for everyone to meet at different times. If GPS coordinates are not an option is there a way to describe the place we are camping?

My google search of Bonanza canyon turned up Bonanza Gulch with no prescribed canyon that looked like the most likely spot to camp.

I can come over and grab firewood next week say tues or wed?

Mark,
Is there a way to generate GPS coordinates for us? It would make it easy for everyone to meet at different times. If GPS coordinates are not an option is there a way to describe the place we are camping?

My google search of Bonanza canyon turned up Bonanza Gulch with no prescribed canyon that looked like the most likely spot to camp.

I can come over and grab firewood next week say tues or wed?

Randy

I found a spot on Google maps, clicked on it, and these coordinates came up in the address bar on the top of the screen: 35.447128,-117.880543. At least they look like coordinates to me!

I tried it again where EP15 meets the highway and got this: 35.480618,-117.931484.

I guess the logical thing to do would be to paste them into your software and see if they come up.:hmm:

All firewood arrangements will need to be made by Monday night or Tuesday morning, as my current plans are to head up to the desert Tuesday afternoon.:)

I will be there

Mark,
I am heading down on Friday and can be there in the afternoon. I will head back on Saturday afternoon. I will be driving shrek down from Mammoth. Is it possible to meet at the Jawbone center parking lot at say 2 PM or something like that? Let me know.

Regards,
Rick

You have my cell.

Mark,
The coordinates look good. I can stop by your house and pick up firewood after work on Tuesday around 4pm ish.

Mark,
I am heading down on Friday and can be there in the afternoon. I will head back on Saturday afternoon. I will be driving shrek down from Mammoth. Is it possible to meet at the Jawbone center parking lot at say 2 PM or something like that? Let me know.

Regards,
Rick

You have my cell.

Rick

None of my 6 cylinders likes going up the long grade from Fremont Valley to Indian Wells Valley, so from choice I wouldn't go 'back down the hill' just to go back up again.

There's a good chance I can meet you in Inyokern around 1:30. I've got to make a stop at the hardware store there anyways.:)

Mark

Inyo kern

I will meet you at the hardware store at 1:30 on friday.
:cheers:
Rick
I will have my cell phone with me and you have my number.

What a GREAT weekend!

I was sweating it a little bit when I rolled into camp at 2:30pm Friday and found it was already occupied. It turned out one of the guys there knew me [imagine that!] and they were pulling out at 4. With camp secured, I went back out to the crest to look for the first wave.

Despite getting direct cell contact with Samuel, he managed to turn in the OPPOSITE direction from camp when he got to the crest, and Tony spent half an hour chasing after him to bring him back. We set up camp before dark and had the fire going pretty well by the time Randy and the rest of the crew rolled in. As the saying goes, much merriment ensued.:)

Just before 9am Saturday, Alex, Samuel and I took off for a hike up to Black Mountain. I don't think either of them were fully prepared for how rocky the hike turned out to be, but we made the best of it, reaching the summit west of the peak three hours later. The weather couldn't have been better, and Samuel's dog immediately went to sleep!

CIMG1069.jpg

We passed about a half dozen Indian sleep sites on the way up, and a couple more on the way back down before we returned to the realm of the white man.

CIMG1073.jpg

When we got back to camp only Sergio was there, as the others had all gone off for a look at Burro Schmidt's Tunnel. We had another long evening of music and merriment, with Paul getting off some great zingers and Randy making sure nobody needed a flashlight within 50 feet of our fire!:eek:

Paul had some electrical issues with his 80 that we had no luck determining the cause of, so by the time we rolled up camp on Sunday for our tour and exit, we were down to four trucks [I think we started with 8:hmm:]

We made a quick stop in Bickel Camp [where Sean tried to plug into Walt Bickel's old ham antenna] before making one failed attempt to reach the Cable cabin [largely owing to my poor navigation]. The rest of the guys made it back to blacktop around 11:30, while I stayed on a few hours to make an appointment in Cantil.

Seriously, the weather has NEVER been this pleasant in Red Rock in February. We really lucked out, and those that didn't join us...didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom