Red Or Green Coolant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a First Generation 4-Runner, with a rebuilt motor, new raditor, etc. I know this is not a 80, but I like to think this happens to be the best place to ask this question. This rebuilt motor and raditor has green coolant in it, and the engine now has approx. 15K miles on it. Is there an advantage of changing over to the Toyota Red Coolant? The a.c. system is cold when driving at 2,000 rpms, but at idle it is not cold. Just wondering if the red coolant would help?

GM

Uh... help what?

The engine coolant has nothing to do with the A/C system, other than shutting it off on an FZJ if it gets too hot.

Curtis

Just don't mix the two. If you flush all of the old stuff out, I don't think it matters which one you use.

I prefer the red personally, but it's not cheap...

GM,

What Curtis said, plus the big issue with our 80 Series is to use a premium brand coolant (red or green but not Dexcool) mixed 50-50 with distilled water and change your coolant annually. Do not mix coolants. If you need to replenish then just top it off with distilled water.

.... Edit: Doug is quick tonight. ...

-B-

Ok so it doesn't matter which coolant you use, differant coolants will not help my AC system perform better. Correct? What are the advantages of using RED instead of GREEN then?

I have RED in my Cruiser, Green in my RUNNER.

GM

Last edited:
The two original anti corrosion additives in coolant are silicates and phosphates. American green has lots of both. The Europeans think phosphates cause problems with deposits when water containing minerals is used so they make high silicate no phosphate coolants, the Japanese think silicates can cause harm to the water pump seals especially as the fluid ages and the silicate starts forming solids. So the Japanese use high phosphates no silicates.

Long term use of green in Toyota's in the US shows they do ok with silicates so you can use green. Use distilled water with it ($.58/gal at Wally World) change it out at least every two years if not every year.

If you want to use a fluid that was specifically designed for Toyota’s get the Toyota red. Use distilled water ($.58/gal at Wally World) change it out at least every two years if not every year.

I use the red and it is 16 months old, needs to be done.

Raven,

Thanks for the information. Question? Why distilled water?

GM

because the impurities in tap water can cause problems.

Raven,

Thanks for your opinion and time. Are you a Chemist by chance?

GM

My dad says to use just water. It will work better but you need to add just a pinch of salt.

^ This is what happens when you leave your username signed on 'Mud on David's computer.

:flipoff2: you David :flipoff2:

Last edited:
CruisinGA said:
My dad says to use just water. It will work better but you need to add just a pinch of salt.
That would be bad advice.

Hello Grouse man
Stay with the green coolant. The older stuff with running red will just create you problems. Use what has proven it self for that model years. If it is a 22r and you did not use stock componets, I would personally not use the red, if you used any old hoses the coolant will creep and you will be replacing the hoses real soon. As for the A/C you may need to have the level checked, it has nothing to do with the type of coolant you are using. later powderpig

CruisinGA said:

^ This is what happens when you leave your username signed on at Urban Land Cruisers.

:flipoff2: you David :flipoff2:

So we have "vendors" posting bogus advice on IH8MUD?

Never can tell. I've seen some pretty bizarre stuff done in this forum.

Grouseman said:
Raven,

Thanks for your opinion and time. Are you a Chemist by chance?

GM

Nope I have been accused of being several things but I am an A&P mechanic, I wish I did know more about chemistry and also physics & engineering. I find them all interesting.

This is probably the best coolants in a nutshell article I have seen. Gives more detail.

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Articles/082004_04.html

Mix the Red and Green together for the best of both worlds and you also get that Christmas feeling (and some sluge)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom