1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red-ish comp roofing, anyone got a house with it?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Landpimp, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    Gonna be re-roofing the house in the next month, we have shake now, will be going to a 50 comp roof. I am SO tired of the normal borning ass colors(ie non colors) I see on all the new houses. I have been toying with going to a red-ish comp roof, but you just don't see red used much anymore. OUr house is a cottage style I guess, 1 story, painted gray with white trim, gutters are red.

anyone got a red-ish comp roof? if so post up some pics please.

thanks
    John

2. Jim S.

Jim S. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you considered a standing seam metal roof? Available in various colours and would look great on the home in your description. Sorry no pics of a red comp roof. Cheers, Jim

3. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    yes, I love metal roofs......but they are ALOT more money, more than 2x's the cost of comp. So no metal roof for me......I just too cheap ;)

Doing mine in comp for $5K(plus 1K for the shed)

4. Jim S.

Jim S. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey I'm with you on that. 5K sounds like a good deal. Is here in Texas anyway, more like 10K+ in my area. Post pics when you get it done, Jim

5. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    house is only 1500sq ft, and the roofer is a good freind.

6. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I did a house with a 40 year shingle not too long ago that was RED RED. It actually looked pretty nice on the house, which was white.

BTW, unless the price difference is zilch, the difference between 40 and 50 year won't be noticed at all. Esthetically or functionally. They will wear the same, especially with your climate up there.

*Unless you do like my brother and I used to do and shovel the roof from the bottom up....d'oh.

Photo shop whores on here could help too......

7. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Most def go with 30+ year arch shingles if you are using comp. A true red roof may be hard to come by, I had to search to find 3 tabs (yuck) a few years back.....

Green and red are a little more trouble to find, although you can find some colors with red in it.

Owens Corning used to have a color called Autumn Red that was a blend of red and tan (Desert Tan= boring)....

Try GAF's color pallete, as well.

Bottom line, you can order almost anything you want, just don't go with the generic same old same old......There are some good looking blues and greens out there as well.

Try Atlas Pinnacles, if they are around anymore, they were a good low-buck but quality shingle several years back when looking at Arch. Comp. roofs, but it has been awhile.

Try ABC Roofing supply, I'd bet they have links to almost every roofing manufact. out there, even if they are not in your area....

8. Jman

Jman

9. Jman

Jman

Seriously, though, most of the red roofs I see around here are either red comp. tile on barns or red metal roofs on houses--don't see many red comp. tile on houses (although there are some). On a grey house with white trim, I think it would look pretty good.

Eventually you would see the occasional red grit lying around the edges of your house (much more noticeable if you live in an area with snow on the ground throughout the winter. Yeah, I know, not much of a problem, but the red stands out much more than the grey when it lands on the ground.