Red Heater Hose Mystery, Need Schooling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings Everyone from the New Guy,

I recently bought an 86 fj60 from a guy down my street. I'm sure this old cruiser has been through the worst of it and back, not to mention its lived through countless Alaskan Winters. Overall its in decent shape, minor rust and few missing parts. The guy I bought it from was in the initial phase of restoration, the grill, dash and various other parts of the interior were dismantled and there was an issue with mold so anything with fabric was also taken out. But he swore up and down that the engine was pretty solid. I was able to drive it home, and home is where it has been sitting for the past couple weeks while I wait for parts.

Right out the gate, the Cruiser was having an issue with keeping an idle, so I did the simple thing and replaced all vac lines. And from that point I have been systematically replacing all hoses and lines before getting into any potential rebuilds of major components. Now I'm at the point where I would like to replace all the heater hoses. I found some diagrams that helped with deciphering and identifying most of the hoses, EXCEPT ONE. For the sake of continuity, the hose in question will be referred to as the Mysterious Red Hose.

This Mysterious Red Hose Ts in at Inlet A hose from the Water Valve at the back of the engine. From there the Mysterious Red Hose takes a hard left (Passenger-Side of Engine) and loops under the engine to a port located on the Engine block (Driver-side of Engine). The port is next to where the EGR pipe makes contact with the engine.
P5230048.JPG

P5230040.JPG

I assume this is rigged this way for the purpose of winterizing the heater. What I would like to know is how to undue this rigging and restore it back to its original functionality. If I remove the Mysterious Red Hose, what will takes its spot on the block? and if someone can refer me to the right diagram that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Alex.

It looks like the mystery red hose runs to the block drain. Which I don’t know why that would ever be done... remove the hose from the side of the block and investigate. Drain the coolant first unless you want a bath!

HTH

Here is a schematic from Partsouq. It's not the best, but gives you an idea of the hoses you need.

If you go to partsouq.com, and type in your VIN, you'll be able to see all the parts diagrams. And since it's really easy to order from them, you can spend all your money there too. You've been warned.

Welcome to MUD!

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 20.40.57.png

MEG690.png

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know. I found a thread about using a pick to investigate for a blockage. Also found a Drain Plug to add to my list.

Here is a schematic from Partsouq. It's not the best, but gives you an idea of the hoses you need.

If you go to partsouq.com, and type in your VIN, you'll be able to see all the parts diagrams. And since it's really easy to order from them, you can spend all your money there too. You've been warned.

Welcome to MUD!

View attachment 2317082

View attachment 2317083
haha I appreciate the warning and thanks for the vendor hook up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom